Hi Aspirants, Here are the Important Current Affairs Questions from the Third week of May 2016 useful for all upcoming competitive exams. We have covered all the important happenings of the week keeping in mind all the upcoming exams like Civil Services Exam 2016, SBI PO 2016, SBI Clerk 2016, SSC CGL 2016 Tier-1, SSC Stenographer Exam, SSC CHSL 2016 etc. You can download the PDF from the below link.
1) Who was appointed as the Lieutenant Governor (LG) of Puducherry on 22 May 2016? - Kiran Bedi
Note: She will succeed Ajay Kumar Singh, the Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, who was holding the additional charge of Puducherry since July 2014.
2) ISRO on 23 May 2016 successfully launched its maiden indigenous winged ____ from Sriharikota spaceport in Andhra Pradesh? - Reusable Launch Vehicle (RLV)
3) Which country on 22 May 2016 won the 2016 Thomas Cup badminton tournament? - Denmark
Note: This was Denmark’s first ever win in the international tournament.
4) Who was on 22 May 2016 unanimously elected as 34th BCCI President? - Anurag Thakur
Note: He is the second youngest BCCI chief. Fatehsinghrao Gaekwad in 1963 became the youngest BCCI President at the age of 33. Thakur succeeds Shashank Manohar who stepped down from the position to take up the ICC chief's job.
Aspirants please note - Anurag Thakur is also a BJP MP in Lok Sabha from Himachal Pradesh's Hamirpur district.
5) Which club on 15 May 2016 retained the Spanish league title La Liga with 3-0 score against Granada in the final match? - Barcelona FC
6) Who won the 2016 Man Booker International Prize for her novel 'The Vegetarian'? - South Korean author, Han Kang
7) Who on 15 May 2016 became Formula One's youngest race winner after winning the Spanish Grand Prix? - Max Verstappen
8) Which former players were on 13 May 2016 appointed to the ICC Cricket Committee for a 3-year term? - India captain Rahul Dravid and ex-Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardena
9) Which country on 21 May 2016 won the Uber Cup badminton title? - China
Note: In the final played at the Kunshan Sports Centre Gymnasium in Beijing, the host country defeated South Korea 3-1. India won the bronze of the Uber Cup tournament after they suffered a 0-3 defeat at the hands of defending champions China in the semifinals.
10) Which club on 21 May 2016 clinched the Federation Cup football title for the 14th time? - Mohun Bagan
Note: In the final played at the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium in Guwahati, Bagan defated Aizwal FC 5-0.
11) Which club on 19 May 2016 won the 2016 UEFA Europa League title? - Spanish’s oldest football club Sevilla
12) Name the Indian journalist and Councillor who was on 19 May 2016 elected unanimously as the Deputy Mayor of Loughton town in the United Kingdom? - Philip Abraham
13) India on 18 May 2016 successfully test fired indigenously developed ____ missile from the Chandipur, off Odisha coast? - Prithvi-II
14) World Hypertension Day(WHD) was observed across the world on? - 17 May 2016
Note: The theme was Know Your Numbers.
15) SBI on 17 May 2016 informed the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) that it is seeking in-principle sanction of the Union Government to enter into negotiation with its 5 subsidiaries and Bharatiya Mahila Bank for acquisition. Name the 5 subsidiaries of SBI?
1. State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur
2. State Bank of Hyderabad
3. State Bank of Mysore
4. State Bank of Patiala
5. State Bank of Travancore
16) World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD) was observed on? - 17 May
Note: This year, WTISD focused on the theme ICT entrepreneurship for social impact.
17) International Day of Families was observed across the world on? - 15 May
Note: The theme for the year was Families, healthy lives and sustainable future.
18) FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) on 14 May 2016 appointed ____ as deputy chairman of its Governance Committee? - Justice (retd) Mukul Mudgal
19) ____ becomes first Indian to be given IAF Hall of Fame Award? - U. R. Rao, noted space scientist
20) Who on 16 May 2016 was sworn in as the acting Chief Justice of Tripura High Court? - Justice Tinlianthang Vaiphei
21) Who on 16 May 2016 was sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of the Chhattisgarh High Court? - Justice Deepak Gupta
22) Which bank on 16 May 2016 launched SmartUp solution? - HDFC Bank Ltd
Note: It is a first-of-its-kind dedicated platform for start-ups to fulfill all their banking needs.
23) Name the Steeplechase athlete who on 14 May 2016 set a national record in women’s 3000m steeplechase event to finish eighth at the IAAF World Diamond League held at Shanghai? - Sudha Singh
24) Apple Inc. on 19 May 2016 opened a new Development Office in which city of India? - Hyderabad, Telangana
25) Who was appointed as Principal Adviser (Social Sector) in NITI Aayog for 3-years recently? - Ratan P Watal
Note: He is the Former Finance Secretary. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Arvind Panagariya are the Chairperson and the Vice Chairperson of the institution. mitabh Kant is the Chief Executive Officer of the NITI Aayog.
26) United Nations (UN) observed the International Day for Biological Diversity (IBD) on? - 22 May 2016
Note: The theme for the year 2016 is Mainstreaming Biodiversity; Sustaining People and their Livelihoods.
27) Who was sworn-in as the President of Taiwan on 20 May 2016? - Tsai Ing-wen
28) Which country on 15 May 2016 launched the Yagoan-30 remote sensing satellite? – China
29) ____ on 18 May 2016 conducted the trial run of India's first ever Metro train equipped to run in the driverless mode? - Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC)
30) Name India’s oldest living Test cricketer who died recently? - Deepak Shodhan
31) Who on 14 May 2016 was sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court? - Justice Navin Sinha
32) Who was on 20 May 2016 selected as the Prime Minister of Turkey? - Binali Yildirim
33) International Day to End Obstetric Fistula was observed across the world on? - 23 May
Note: The theme for this year was End fistula within a generation
34) Income Tax (IT) department on 17 May 2016 launched an electronic grievance redressal system ____ to fast track taxpayer grievances? - e-nivaran
35) World’s largest Single Rooftop Solar Power Plant with capacity of 11.5 MegaWatt (MW) was inaugurated at Dera Baba Jaimal Singh at Beas, in? - Amritsar, Punjab