Hi Aspirants, Here are the Important Current Affairs Questions from the first week of May 2016 useful for all upcoming competitive exams. We have covered all the important happenings of the week keeping in mind all the upcoming exams like Civil Services Exam 2016, SBI PO 2016, SBI Clerk 2016, University Assistant Exam 2016, SSC CGL 2016 Tier-1, SSC Stenographer Exam, SSC CHSL 2016 etc. You can download the PDF from the below link.
1) Who was appointed as the next Chief of the Naval Staff on 5 May 2016? - Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba
Note: He will assume the charge on 31 May 2016 as the 23rd chief of Indian Navy and 21st as an Indian. He will succeed present Navy Chief Admiral Robin K. Dhowan, who will superannuate from the post on 31 May 2016.
2) President Pranab Mukherjee on 3 May 2016 conferred National film awards for the year 2015 in various categories at the 63rd National Film Awards Function held at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. The President also conferred 2015 Dada Saheb Phalke Award to? - Manoj Kumar
3) Which club was crowned as champions of English Premier League on 2 May 2016? - Leicester City
Note: This is the first time in the club’s 132-year history that Leicester is champion of England.
4) Who was on 6 May 2016 appointed as head coach of Pakistan Cricket Team? - Mickey Arthur
Note: He succeeded Waqar Younis, who resigned after Pakistan's early exit from the World T20 tournament.
5) Which bank on 6 May 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the New Development Bank (NDB) of BRICS to establish a strategic partnership in the areas of bond issuances, co-financing, treasury management and human resources? - ICICI Bank
Note: NDB is a multilateral development bank established by the BRICS states which are Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
6) Which country on 6 May 2016 won the Asian Kabaddi Championship 2016 (Circle Style)? - Pakistan
Note: Tournament was held at Wah Cantonment in Pakistan. They defeated India by 19 points.
7) World Press Freedom Day was on 3 May 2016 observed across the world with the theme? - Access to Information and Fundamental Freedoms - This Is Your Right!
8) Who on 1 May 2016 won 2016 Russian Grand Prix? - Nico Rosberg
9) Who on 24 April 2016 created a record by scoring 21-ball century in the Tobago Cricket Association’s T20 tournament at Louis D'or? - Tobago batsman Iraq Thomas
10) Alberta Wildfire hit which country in the first week of May 2016? – Canada
11) Name the Indian who won the Commonwealth Short Story Prize for 2016, for the Asia region? - Parashar Kulkarni
12) Who on 2 May 2016 won World Championship title of Snooker? - Mark Selby
13) Supreme Court banned all diesel cabs in which city from May 1? - NCR-Delhi
14) Who on 28 April 2016 won the prestigious Mandela - Graça Machel Innovation Award 2016 in Bogota, Colombia? - Tabassum Adnan, a women’s rights activist from Pakistan
15) International Labour Day was celebrated on 1 May 2016 with theme? - Celebrating the international labour movement
16) The International Jazz Day 2016 was observed across the world on? - 30 April 2016
17) Who on 4 May 2016 took over as the part-time Chairperson in the National Statistical Commission? - Dr Radha Binod Barman
18) United States of America (US) Navy on 2 May 2016 tested the world's largest unmanned surface vessel named ____ in San Diego? - Sea Hunter
19) ____ Committee on Yoga Education in Universities has recommended seven programmes for implementation in universities on 5 May 2016? - H.R. Nagendra Committee
20) Who was on 5 May 2016 appointed the Chief of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS)? - Senior IPS officer Kumar Rajesh Chandra
21) Who was re-elected as Prime Minister of Ireland on 6 May 2016? - Taoiseach Enda Kenny
22) Which state government on 1 May 2016 launched Chandranna Bima Yojana? - Andhra Pradesh
23) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 1 May 2016 launched the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) at? - Ballia, Uttar Pradesh
24) Which organization recently released a report titled ‘Protecting people through nature’ with the subtitle ‘Natural world heritage sites as Drivers of sustainable development.'? - World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
25) Name the new Offshore patrol vessel launched on 5 May 2016? - ICGS Shaurya
26) Indian Navy on 28 April 2016 decommissioned Indian Naval Ships ____ and ___ at a ceremony in the Naval Dockyard, Mumbai? - (INS) Veer and Nipat
27) Which state government recently launched Adi Praman, online app for tribal caste validity certificate? - Maharashtra