Hi Aspirants, Here are the Important Current Affairs Questions from the second week of May 2016 useful for all upcoming competitive exams. We have covered all the important happenings of the week keeping in mind all the upcoming exams like Civil Services Exam 2016, SBI PO 2016, SBI Clerk 2016, University Assistant Exam 2016, SSC CGL 2016 Tier-1, SSC Stenographer Exam, SSC CHSL 2016 etc. You can download the PDF from the below link.
1) Who was on 12 May 2016 elected unanimously and unopposed as the Chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC) by the Board? - Shashank Manohar
Note: Manohar is the first elected independent Chairman of the Cricket governing body and will serve for two-year term with immediate effect.
2) National Technology Day was celebrated across India on? - 11 May
Note: The theme for celebrations of the Technology Day 2016 is Technology enablers of Startup India. The day commemorates the anniversary of first of the five tests of Operation Shakti (Pokhran-II) nuclear test which was held on 11 May 1998 in Pokhran, Rajasthan.
3) Who was on 9 May 2016 appointed as Additional Solicitor General (ASG)? - Atma Ram Nadkarni
4) Who recently become the first Muslim mayor of London? - British Labour party's Sadiq Khan
5) 112, the single emergency number that will help people to reach immediate services of police, ambulance and fire department will be operational throughout India from? - 1 January 2017
6) Which player on 15 May 2016 won his first Italian Open Men's Singles Tennis title? - Andy Murray
Note: In the final played in Rome, third-ranked Murray defeated the top-ranked Djokovic 6-3, 6-3.
7) International Nurses Day is observed on? - 12 May
8) Name the England’s women cricket team captain who announced her international retirement on 11 May 2016? - Charlotte Edwards
9) President Pranab Mukherjee on 11 May 2016 signed the warrant for the appointment of four judges to the Supreme Court. Name them?
Justice AM Khanwilkar of the Madhya Pradesh High Court, Justice DY Chandrachud of the Allahabad High Court, Justice Ashok Bhushan of the Kerala High Court and L Nageshwar Rao.
Note: With this sworn-in event, the judicial strength of the Supreme Court will move up to 28.
10) World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) was observed across the world on? - 10 May
11) Which state on 7 May 2016 accorded minority status to the Jain community? – Gujarat
12) Sania Mirza and ____ on 15 May 2016 captured the Italian Open women's doubles title? - Martina Hingis
13) Who was recently named as the first female secretary general of FIFA? - Fatma Samba Diouf Samoura
14) India on 15 May 2016 successfully test fired an indigenously developed Advanced Air Defence interceptor missile named? - Ashwin
Note: It was launched from the complex of Abdul Kalam Island (formerly known as Wheeler Island) off Odisha coast.
15) Who on 10 May 2016 resigned as the President of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)? - Shashank Manohar
16) ____ on 11 May 2016 struck down the regulation of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) which made it mandatory for telecom companies to compensate subscribers for call drops from January 2016? - Supreme Court
17) Name the Indian-American elementary teacher who was named as 2016 Texas Elementary Teacher of the Year? - Revathi Balakrishnan
18) Who was on 10 May 2016 named the NBA’s Most Valuable Player for the second straight year? - Stephen Curry
19) ___ is the only Indian in Forbes Most Powerful People in the Financial World list released on 11 May 2016? - Uday Kotak
20) Which player on 7 May 2016 won the women singles title of the Madrid Open? - Romanian tennis player Simona Halep
21) Which player on 8 May 2016 defeated Andy Murray 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 to conquer the Mutua Madrid Open title? - Novac Djokovic
22) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 9 May 2016 announced that it will shortly issue 1000 rupees denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi Series – 2005 with the inset letter ____ in both the number panels? - 'R'
23) Which state Government in the first week of May 2016 decided to establish Asia’s first-ever Rice Technology Park at Gangavati? – Karnataka
24) World Health Organisation (WHO) on 12 May 2016 in a survey announced that New Delhi is no longer the worst polluted city in the world in terms of air quality. Which city is now the worst polluted city in the world? - Iran's Zabol
25) Which country on 4 May 2016 honoured the late bollywood film maker Yash Chopra with a special statue? - Switzerland