1) Eid Milad-un Nabi celebrated across the country: Eid Milad-Un-Nabi, the birthday of Prophet Mohammad was celebrated with religious fervour in various parts of the country on 3 January 2015. Processions are being taken out to mark the occasion. The President, Vice President and Prime Minister have greeted the nation on the occasion of Eid Milad-un-Nabi. President Pranab Mukherjee hoped that the Prophet Mohammad's teachings of universal love and compassion will guide everyone to live in fellowship, harmony and unity.
2) Bezbaruah Commission recommendations accepted by government: The Government has decided to accept the recommendations of the Bezbaruah Committee that was set up to look into the safety and security of people from North East India. Home Minister Rajnath Singh has said that the IPC law will be amended to give strict punishment to those perpetrating violence and making derogatory remarks against the people of North East India. In February, 2014 the Government had set up the Committee chaired by retired IAS officer M P Bezbaruah, following killing of north-east student Nido Tania last year. The Committee handed over its report in July 2014, which had recommendations on ways to solve the apprehensions of the people of North East, with special regard to their safety and security.
3) Kumar Sangakkara breaks Sachin Tendulkar's record, fastest to 12,000 Test runs: Sri Lankan batsman Kumar Sangakkara joined an elite group of cricketers on 3 January 2015 when he became only the fifth to make 12,000-runs in his career. The 37-year-old Lankan legend reached the milestone in his 224th Test innings, surpassing Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting, both of whom needed 247 innings to achieve the mark.
4) Prime Minister inaugurated Indian Science Congress 2015 at Mumbai: Prime Minister, Narendra Modi on 3 January 2015 morning inaugurated the 102nd edition of the Indian Science Congress hosted by the Mumbai University. PM called for greater academic autonomy, focus on research, and need to nurture future generations of scientists. The need of the hour for a sustainable and prosperous country is to put science and technology at the top of our national priority, Mr. Modi said.
5) 'PK' overtook 'Dhoom 3' to become highest Bollywood grosser ever: Aamir Khan's PK has surpassed the collections of Dhoom 3 two weeks post its release. PK has been continuously having a great run at the box office and had become the fastest Bollywood film to reach the Rs 200 crore mark. After having a bumper run, setting new records and breaking the old ones, it seems PK is on the way to become the first ever film to reach the Rs 300 crore mark at the box office.
6) Bikaner Camel Festival from 4 Jan 2015: Bikaner’s camel festival, described by travel guide Lonely Planet as the third best fair in the world, is set to begin on 4 Jan 2015. Organised by the Department of Tourism and the district administration, the colourful two-day festival will begin with a spectacular procession of bedecked camels against the red sandstone backdrop of the Junagarh Fort.
7) Banks suggested trimming govt stake in state banks below 51 per cent: Lenders have suggested reducing government's holding in state-run banks to below 51 per cent, the finance ministry said on 3 January 2015 after a two-day banking retreat. The country's top bankers had gathered in Pune to discuss long-pending reforms vital to improving the health of ailing public sector banks in Asia's third-largest economy. Financial Services Secretary Hasmukh Adhia said the government will "positively" look at the recommendations by bankers.
8) AFSPA extended in Assam by another year: The Centre has extended the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 declaring Assam as a ‘disturbed area’ for another year beyond November 3 last, a State government release said.