1) 14 CRPF men died in Maoist strike in Chhattisgarh: Ending an eight-month calm, Maoists killed 14 Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel, including two officers, in Sukma district of South Chhattisgarh on 01 December 2014. The ambush took place near Kasalpara village. “The deceased personnel include Deputy Commandant D.S. Verma and Assistant Commandant Rajesh Kapuria of the CRPF,” R.K. Vij, Additional Director-General of Police, Naxal Operations, Chhattisgarh, told.
2) Non-subsidized LPG price cut by Rs 113/cylinder, jet fuel price slashed by 4.1%: Price of non-subsidized cooking gas (LPG) was on 01 December 2014 cut by a steep Rs 113 per cylinder and that of jet fuel (ATF) by 4.1 per cent as international oil rates slumped to multi-year lows. A 14.2kg cylinder of non-subsidized LPG will now cost Rs 752, down from Rs 865 previously, in Delhi, oil companies announced.
3) World AIDS Day observed: World AIDS Day, designated 1 December every year since 1987, is dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection, and mourning those who have died of the disease. Government and health officials, non-governmental organizations and individuals around the world observe the day, often with education on AIDS prevention and control. The 2014 theme for World AIDS Day is “Focus, Partner, Achieve: An AIDS-free Generation.”
4) Bangladesh's Taijul Islam grabs Hat-trick on ODI debut: Young Bangladesh spinner Taijul Islam on 1 December 2014 became the first bowler in history to claim a hat-trick on his debut in one-day cricket, achieving the feat against Zimbabwe in Dhaka. The 22-year-old left-armer bowled Tinashe Panyangara off the last ball of the 27th over and then trapped John Nyumbu leg-before and bowled Tendai Chatara off successive deliveries at the start of his next over to take a split hat-trick. Islam finished with four for 11 in seven overs.
5) Adelaide to host first Australia-India Test in revised schedule: The first cricket Test between India and Australia will be held in Adelaide from December 9 after the four-match series' schedule was revised on Monday in the wake of young player Phillip Hughes' tragic death which left the home team distraught. "Revised Schedule: 1st Test (December 9-13), 2nd Test (December 17-21), 3rd Test (December 26-30) and 4th Test (January 6-10). Venues: 1st Test (Adelaide), 2nd Test (Brisbane), 3rd Test (Melbourne) and 4th Test (Sydney) #AUSvsIND," the BCCI said on its official Twitter handle.
6) Ronaldo, Messi and Neuer up for Ballon d'Or: Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, who have between them won the past six world player of the year awards, face opposition from Germany's World Cup winning goalkeeper Manuel Neuer in the short list announced by FIFA on Monday. Ronaldo, who is the present holder of the title having also won it in 2008, scored a record 17 goals in a Champions League campaign as Real Madrid went on to win their 10th European Cup last term.
7) AP to pay pensions through post offices from January-2015: Andhra Pradesh Government will make all pension disbursements from January -2015 through post offices and recruit fair price shops agents as Postal agents. Chief Secretary IYR Krishna Rao, who reviewed the distribution process of pensions at the Secretariat on Monday, said that all dealers of fair price shops managing the PDS would be appointed as agents of the Postal Department for the purpose of distribution of Pensions.