1) Hughes in critical condition after being hit by bouncer: Australia Test batsman Phil Hughes has been rushed to St Vincent’s Hospital in critical condition after being knocked out by a bouncer during a Sheffield Shield match between South Australia and NSW at the SCG on 25 November 2014. The 25-year-old collapsed after being struck on the side of the head by a Sean Abbott delivery and was stretchered from the ground. He is currently undergoing surgery and according to Ambulance officials he was in a critical condition. A statement issued by South Australia Cricket Association said: “On behalf of the SACA Board and administration, our thoughts and prayers are with Phil Hughes and his family at this time.
2) Sania named UN Women's Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia: Indian tennis star Sania Mirza was on 25 Nov 2014 appointed the UN Goodwill Ambassador for the South Asian region by UN Women at an event held to mark the International Day To End Violence Against Women. Sania, India's most successful women's tennis player and the first Indian to break into the World Tennis Association's top 50 rankings, is the first South Asian woman to be appointed the goodwill ambassador in the organisation's history.
3) Papa John’s acquires Pizza Corner: Om Pizza & Eats Pvt Ltd, the Indian franchisee of Papa John’s International, on 25 Nov 2014 acquired local rival Pizza Corner for an undisclosed sum. Atulya Mittal, a nephew of steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal, is the promoter of Om Pizza & Eats Pvt Ltd. “Papa John’s today announced that they have entered into an agreement for the merger of Pizza Corner stores in South India. Papa John’s will convert the existing Pizza Corner stores to Papa John’s branded restaurants through Q1 2015,” the company said in a statement. Pizza Corner brand will cease to exist and all its stores will be re-branded as Papa John’s.
4) Impressive turnout in J&K and Jharkhand: The first phase of Assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir and Jharkhand on Tuesday witnessed a high turnout. Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi said that the 71.28 per cent polling recorded in J&K was probably the highest. Jharkhand saw 61.92 per cent voting in the 13 Assembly constituencies. Only minor incidents of violence were reported in the naxal-hit areas of western Jharkhand. In Chhatarpur seat of Palamu district, miscreants destroyed control units of voting machines in two booths.
5) Govt rolls out Swachh Bharat Kosh for donations on sanitation: Keen to encourage public participation in his Swachh Bharat Mission, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will personally acknowledge all donations over Rs 20 crore by companies and Rs 1 crore by individual citizens to the Swachh Bharat Kosh. The government on Tuesday formally launched the Swachh Bharat Kosh (fund) “to facilitate channelisation of philanthropic contributions and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) funds” towards this cause. Using the donations, the fund will finance activities such as construction of new toilets as well as repair and renovation of dysfunctional toilets in rural areas, urban areas, elementary, secondary and senior secondary government schools, aanganwaadis.
6) Rajya Sabha passed Bill to amend labour laws: Though all political parties except the BJP spoke against it, Rajya Sabha on Tuesday passed a Bill to amend the Labour Laws (Exemption from Furnishing Returns and Maintaining Registers by certain Establishments) Act, 1988, powered by the Congress’s inability to vote against a Bill that it had itself mooted.
7) Sale of loose cigarettes faces ban: The Union Health Ministry has accepted a proposal to prohibit the sale of loose cigarettes (as single sticks) and raise the minimum legal age for sale of tobacco products, Union Health Minister J.P. Nadda told the Rajya Sabha on 25 November 2014.
8) International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women observed: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women observed across the world on 25 November 2014. The day was observed to raise awareness about violence against women and discuss solutions that would work for women community.
9) Kathak legend Sitara Devi passed away: Kathak queen Sitara Devi died at a hospital in Mumbai on Tuesday. She was 94. Born in 1920 in Kolkata, Sitara Devi drew from the themes, poetry and choreography collected by her father in her choreographies. She also got inspired from the environment around her — whether it is a town or a village.
10) Arunachal Pradesh gets Namsai as its 18th district: Namsai on Tuesday officially became the 18th district of Arunachal Pradesh, as Chief Minister Nabam Tuki made the declaration, amidst jubilation at an inauguration function.