1) Obama to be chief guest at Republic Day celebrations 2015: Prime Minister Narendra Modi has invited US President Barack Obama to Republic Day on January 26, 2015, an invitation that has been accepted by the US president. Obama will be the first US president to grace the occasion. Tthe Prime Minister's Office gave an official confirmation on Obama's visit to India. "This Republic Day, we hope to have a friend over...invited President Obama to be the 1st US President to grace the occasion as Chief Guest," PM Modi tweeted.
2) World Television Day celebrated: In 1996, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed November 21 as World Television Day, “in recognition of the increasing impact television has on decision-making by alerting world attention to conflicts and threats to peace and security and its potential role in sharpening the focus on other major issues, including economic and social issues.”
3) World Fisheries Day observed: World Fisheries day on 21 November 2014 was observed across the world by the fisher folk communities. The day will remind the world to ensure sustainable stocks of fisheries and healthy oceans ecosystems.
4) Japan PM Shinzo Abe dissolved parliament for election: Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has dissolved parliament, paving the way for a snap election. Mr Abe is seeking a new mandate for economic reforms and is delaying an unpopular increase in sales tax. But opinion polls conducted by local media indicate low support for the PM and that many people do not understand why he has called an election two years ahead of schedule. Japan will now head to the polls in mid-December.
5) Democratic Republic of Congo declared free of Ebola Virus: The World Health Organization said on 21 November 2014 that the Democratic Republic of Congo was free of the Ebola virus after the African country went more than 40 days without a person developing symptoms of the deadly disease.
6) India's Mangalyaan among best inventions of 2014: Mangalyaan has been named among the best inventions of 2014 by Time magazine which described it as a technological feat that will allow India to flex its "interplanetary muscles." "Nobody gets Mars right on the first try. The US didn't, Russia didn't, the Europeans didn't. But on September 24, India did. That's when the Mangalyaan ...went into orbit around the Red Planet, a technological feat no other Asian nation has yet achieved," Time said about Mangalyaan, calling it "The Supersmart Spacecraft."Mangalyaan is among the 25 'Best Inventions of 2014' listed by Time magazine that are "making the world better, smarter andin some casesa little more fun."
7) World's first White Tiger Safari to come up in MP: Powerful roar of white tigers will soon reverberate in Madhya Pradesh's Vindhya region as the world's first White Tiger Safari would begin in Rewa, which was once home to this rare breed of the big cats. "The world's first White Tiger Safari would begin soon at Mukundpur near Rewa where the first white tiger was spotted by erstwhile ruler Maharaja Martand Singh in 1951 from Sidhi forest area (it was named as Mohan)," Madhya Pradesh Public Relations Minister Rajendra Shukla told PTI.
8) Inform customers about fall in minimum balance, RBI directs banks: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has asked banks to inform their customers about a fall in minimum balance well in advance and said penal charges should be levied only to the extent of shortfall in such balances. The guidelines with respect to levying of penal charges for non-maintenance of minimum balance will be effective from April 1, 2015. RBI said while levying charges for non-maintenance of minimum balance in savings bank account, banks shall adhere to the additional guidelines.
9) Deutsche Bank won Custodian of the Year 2014 award: Deutsche Bank on 15 November 2014 won Custodian of the Year 2014 award. The bank was awarded the ‘Channel Islands Custodian of the Year 2014’ title, with the award being presented to Lisa Haggarty, Head of Custody and Fund Solutions for Deutsche Bank Channel Islands.