1) Rohit Sharma created history by smashing the highest individual ODI score: Rohit Sharma on 13 November 2014 created history by smashing the highest individual ODI score with a breathtaking knock of 264 as India thrashed Sri Lanka by 153 runs in the fourth cricket one-dayer to take a 4-0 lead in the five-match series in Kolkata. Courtesy Rohit's mayhem, India scored a mammoth 404 for five and then easily bowled out the islanders for 251 in 43.1 overs. Returning after a 10-week injury lay-off, Rohit had everything going his way after being let-off on individual score of four. The Mumbaikar paced his innings to perfection as he first got set during the initial 50 runs before exploding against a clueless Lankan attack, as he scored his 264 off only 173 balls that had 33 fours and seven sixes. In the process, Rohit also broke compatriot Virender Sehwag's earlier world record of 219 runs, which he had set against West Indies in Indore, back in 2011. Rohit is also the only batsman to register two double centuries in ODIs and also now holds the record for highest number of boundaries during his innings.
2) PM proposed polio eradication, regional satellite to Myanmar: PM Narendra Modi has proposed SAARC-specific benefits like polio eradication and dedicated regional satellite to Myanmar, an observer in the eight-member South Asian grouping. Addressing the Indian diaspora at the end of his three-day visit to Nay Pyi Taw on 13 November 2014, during which he attended ASEAN and East Asia summits apart from holding bilateral talks with several leaders, Modi said India's stature has gone up globally in the last few months and the whole world was now seeing it through a changed eye.
3) Parrikar, 9 others elected unopposed to RS : Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Samajwadi Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav are and ten political leaders who were on Thursday elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand. Of the ten leaders, nine, including Parrikar, former Goa Chief Minister who was inducted into Union Cabinet last Sunday, were elected from UP while another from Uttarakhand. SP's Ram Gopal Yadav, state minister Azam Khan's wife Tazeen Fatima, Neeraj Shekhar, son of former Prime Minister Chandrashekhar, Ravi Prakash Verma, Javed Ali Khan and Chandrapal Singh Yadav were also among those elected to the Upper House of Parliament from UP.
4) Petrol, Diesel prices increased by Rs 1.50 a litre: The government on Thursday hiked excise duty on petrol and diesel prices by Rs 1.50 a litre each to mop up an additional Rs 13,000 crore in revenue, a move that may translate into similar increase in retail rates. The fall in international oil prices had resulted in six consecutive reduction in petrol prices since August and two in diesel in the last one month and there was possibility of another round of cuts this weekend. But the possible reduction has now been negated as the government decided to raise excise duty to shore up its revenue. Excise duty on normal or unbranded petrol was hiked from Rs 1.20 per litre to Rs 2.70 per litre and unbranded diesel from Rs 1.46 a litre to Rs 2.96, a government notification said on Thursday.
5) RBI to invite applications for small banks by month-end: The Reserve Bank by month-end will invite applications for setting up small finance and payment banks, which will cater to low-income households and small businesses, after putting in place final norms in this regard. These banks are expected to bring in a large chunk of the public, especially in rural areas and other places with low penetration, into the formal banking system. "We visualise mobile companies, companies with large rural presence, may be shops, may be kiosks, as well as possibly the post offices seeking payment bank licences," RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan said in Mumbai on Thursday.
6) India overtakes China as world's biggest gold consumer: India regained its position as the world’s top gold consumer overtaking China in the third quarter as demand for jewellery surged almost 60 per cent, according to new data from the World Gold Council.
7) Virat Kohli among elite group of ambassadors for 2015 World Cup: The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Thursday announced the star studded appointment of its ambassadors for next year's Cricket World Cup and India's Virat Kohli is a part of the five member group. Accompanying Kohli would be Australian fast-bowler Mitchell Johnson, New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum, Sri Lanka's former captain Kumar Sangakkara and Australia's Shane Watson. The ICC Ambassadors would add their support and considerable profile in the build-up to and during the 2015 Cricket World Cup; including involvement in the board's Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programme and event promotions.