1) Sachin Tendulkar unveils autobiography Playing It My Way: Sachin Tendulkar's much-awaited autobiography Playing It My Way was launched on Wednesday in the presence of some of his former teammates, celebrities and family members at a ceremony in Mumbai. The book, the first copy of which he gave to his mother Rajni earlier in the day, was unveiled by Tendulkar himself amid thundering applause by the gathering.
2) PM Narendra Modi ranks 15 in Forbes' World's Most Powerful list: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 5 Nov 2014 made his debut among the world's most powerful people, ranked 15th on the Forbes list topped by Russian President Vladimir Putin who pipped his United States counterpart Barack Obama for a second year in a row. The list of 72 most powerful people in the world also included the names of Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani at 36th, ArcelorMittal Chairman and CEO Lakshmi Mittal at 57th and Microsoft's Indian-born CEO Satya Nadella at 64th.
3) Anita Kapur is new CBDT Chairperson: Senior IRS officer Anita Kapur has been appointed as the new chairperson of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), the apex authority of the Income Tax department. Kapur, a 1978-batch officer of the Income Tax cadre, was till now serving as Member (Legislation and Computerisation and Income Tax) in the CBDT. She took over the top charge after her appointment was made by the government as incumbent CBDT Chairman K V Chowdary retired on October 31.
4) Dhoni named captain of ICC’ ‘ODI Team of the Year’: Mahendra Singh Dhoni was on Wednesday named captain of ICC’ ‘ODI Team of the Year’ but none of the Indian players found berth in governing body’s ‘Test Team of the Year’ led by Sri Lankan Angelo Mathews. The ICC cricket committee headed by former India captain Anil Kumble on Wednesday announced the two teams consisting of 12 players each. While 12-member ODI team for performance during 2014 had Dhoni as captain along with his Indian team deputy Virat Kohli and pacer Mohammed Shami in the XI, opener Rohit Sharma has been named as the 12th man.
5) Bhuvneshwar Kumar wins LG People's Choice Award: India fast bowler Bhuvneshwar Kumar has won this year's People's Choice Award. He now becomes only the fourth cricketer to win this coveted prize after Sachin Tendulkar, who was the first-ever recipient in 2010, Sri Lanka's Kumar Sangakkara, who won it in 2011 and 2012, and India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who won it last year. Other nominees for this year's award were England women's captain Charlotte Edwards, Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson, Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews and South Africa fast bowler Dale Steyn.
6) Cristiano Ronaldo received Golden Boot award: Cristiano Ronaldo said he plans to be remembered as one of the best players of all time, as he was presented with the 2013-14 Golden Shoe award as Europe's top goal scorer last season. Ronaldo shared the prize with Luis Suarez, who also scored 31 goals last season, in the current Barcelona player's final year at Liverpool. Suarez received his trophy last month.
7) Bharti called off Rs 700-cr deal to buy Loop Mobile: Bharti Airtel on Wednesday called off its deal to buy assets and transfer subscribers of Mumbai-based Loop Mobile for Rs 700 crore. The agreement, signed in February, was called off after Loop Mobile did not receive approval from the department of telecommunications (DoT) for the deal. The agreement between Bharti Airtel and Loop Mobile, which offers mobile services in Mumbai, expired on October 31.
8) Government reconstituted PM's council on climate change: The UN-backed Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) chief R K Pachauri, economist Nitin Desai and retired diplomat Chandrasekar Dasgupta have once again found place in the reconstituted Prime Minister's Council on Climate Change — a key government body in India which provides oversight for formulation of action plans in the area of assessment, adaptation and mitigation of climate change in the country.
9) India tops in demand for blocking Facebook posts: With increasing number of Indians getting hooked to sharing content on Facebook, there has been a steady rise in requests to the social networking site from the government and other agencies to censor posts. In the first six months of 2014, Facebook has restricted access to nearly 5,000 pieces of information from India on its website, the highest for any country. India is the social networking site’s largest user base outside the U.S. with over 100 million users.
10) Nepal to confer honorary title to Indian Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag: Indian Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag will be conferred the title of honorary rank of General of the Nepal Army during his maiden visit to this country next week, media reported. Nepalese President Ram Baran Yadav will confer the honorary rank of General of Nepal Army to Gen Singh at a special function.