1) RBI made SMS alerts for cheques mandatory: Banks will now start sending SMS alerts to both payer and drawer in cheque transactions as soon as the instruments are received for clearing. Expressing concern over the rise in cheque-related fraud cases, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has made SMS alerts mandatory for such transactions. RBI has also asked banks to alert a customer with a phone call and obtain confirmation when dealing with suspicious or high-value cheques. Until now, SMS alerts were mandatory only for card transactions.
2) India to hand over fast attack craft INS Tarasa to Seychelles: Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral RK Dhowan, will be on a four-day visit to Seychelles beginning Friday during which he will hand over the second Indian Fast Attack Craft (FAC) to the government there. INS Tarasa, which has been recently refitted at Naval Dockyard Mumbai, will join her sister ship SCG Topaz as part of the Indian Navy's assistance to Seychelles Coast Guard in capacity building towards meeting her maritime security needs.
3) Torpedo Recovery Vessel (A 72) sinks off Visakhaptnam Coast: A Torpedo Recovery Vessel of Indian Navy (A 72) has sunk off the coast of Visakhapatnam on 6 November 2014 evening. The vessel was on a routine mission to recover practice torpedoes fired by fleet ships during a routine exercise, when she experienced flooding in one of her compartments. At the time of the incident there were 28 personnel on board. One sailor has lost his life during the rescue operation and four personnel are reported missing. Twenty three personnel have been rescued safely by the Search and Rescue (SAR) ships dispatched to the area.
4) Lionel Messi tied all-time Champions League goal record: Barcelona’s Lionel Messi has become the joint top scorer in Champions League history with his goals against Ajax in Amsterdam on 5 November 2014. The Argentinian has now tied the previous record of 71 set by Raúl, taking his personal tally to 71 in 90 appearances in the competition. Raúl took 142 matches to reach his tally.
5) Guru Nanak's birthday celebrated: Sikhs around the world celebrated the birth of the faith’s founder, Guru Nanak on 6 Nov 2014, . His teachings, along with those of the nine other Sikh Gurus that followed him, provide the basis for the religion. Guru Nanak's birthday is especially celebrated in India and Pakistan, where parades take place. Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted the nation on the occasion of birthday of Guru Nanak Dev. "I bow to the venerable Guru Nanak Devji on the occasion of Guru Nanak Jayanti. The life and teachings of Guru Nanak Devji inspire us eternally. Let us follow the path of compassion, truth and peace as shown by him," Prime Minister Modi tweeted. The day was a Gazetted holiday in India.
6) Lenovo completed acquisition of Motorola from Google: Chinese computer maker Lenovo on Thursday announced completion of USD 2.91 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility from Google, a move that will make it the third largest smartphone maker in India. Talking to journalists over a conference call, Yang Yuanqing, chairman and CEO, Lenovo Group, said Motorola will be a strong growth engine for Lenovo. “We are fully ready to move into the mobile era… Now that Motorola is part of Lenovo, future will be brighter,” he added.
7) PM adopted Jayapur village in Varanasi under Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana: With Prime Minister Narendra Modi all set to adopt Jayapur village in his Lok Sabha constituency Varanasi, under the MPs' adopt-a-village scheme, the entire administration is focused on sprucing up the village ahead of the PM's visit. The people of Jayapur village, located 32 km from Varanasi city centre in the Rohaniya assembly segment, are looking forward to the prime minister's visit to his constituency on November 7-8 with much hope as he is expected to announce a number of welfare and developmental measures.