1) Mallikarjun Kharge to be on CIC selection panel: Leader of Congress in Lok Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge has been inducted into the three-member selection committee which will select the Chief Information Commissioner. As per file notings, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who heads the panel, has nominated Defence Minister Arun Jaitely besides Kharge to the committee. The decision to include Kharge has been taken on the advice of Law Ministry as there was lack of clarity on the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha. The RTI Act requires that selection of the Chief Information Commissioner be done by a three-member panel comprising the Prime Minister, who shall be the Chairperson of the committee, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha and a Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister.
2) Actor Sadashiv Amrapurkar passed away: Veteran actor and social activist Sadashiv Amrapurkar, who was being treated in a hospital in Mumbai over the past few weeks for lung infection, passed away on early Monday morning. He was 64. Amrapurkar made his mark as an actor and director in Marathi theatre and was best known to the national audience for his roles in movies like 'Ardha Satya', 'Sadak', 'Ishq'. His negative characters in number of Hindi movies also made a mark on the viewers.
3) Government to establish Centre for Zoo Sciences soon: Government Monday announced setting up of a Centre for Zoo Sciences to assist recognised Indian zoos as well as zoos in South Asia in their development and management on scientific lines. "We will have a Centre for Zoo Sciences," Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar said, adding there will be facilities for teaching, research, experiments and sharing of ideas like in universities. "We are thinking of setting up a Centre for Zoo Sciences in New Delhi to bring about a turn around in the functioning of the zoos and to infuse scientific and technical culture in the present system and make our zoos more visitor friendly," he said.
4) India finishes the 2014 Asian Para Games at 15th place: India finishes the 2014 Asian Para Games at 15th place with a haul of 3 Gold, 14 Silver & 16 Bronze. China, South Korea and Japan took the first three position in the overall medal tally respectively. The Games are held after the Asian Games at the same venue.
5) Thirteen years after 9/11, World Trade Center reopens for business: Thirteen years after the 9/11 terrorist attack, the resurrected World Trade Center is again opening for business, marking an emotional milestone for both New Yorkers and the United States as a whole.
6) Justice Mukul Mudgal submits final IPL probe report to Supreme Court: Justice Mukul Mudgal Monday submitted to the Supreme Court the final report of its investigation into the allegations of betting and spot fixing in the 2013 edition of Indian Premier League (IPL). Justice Mudgal committee that investigated the allegations against sidelined BCCI chief N. Srinivasan and 12 others submitted the report in a sealed cover.
7) Manmohan Singh chosen for top national award by Japan: Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has been chosen for one of Japan's top national awards for his contribution to India-Japan ties, becoming the first Indian to receive the rare honour. Singh will be awarded 'The Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers' for his "significant contribution to the enhancement of relations and promotion of friendship" between Japan and India for about 35 years, a Japanese Embassy statement said.
8) Former Union minister G. K. Vasan quits Congress, floats new party: In a repeat of 1996, the Congress in Tamil Nadu on Monday was split into two with former Union Shipping Minister G.K. Vasan quitting the party and floating a new outfit. The name of the party and its flag will be announced at a public meeting in Tiruchi.
9) Lewis Hamilton wins US Grand Prix: Race by race and point by point, Lewis Hamilton is tightening his grip on the Formula One world championship and squeezing out Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg. Mercedes had another 1-2 finish in a dominating season that has pushed Hamilton and Rosberg well clear of the pack in the title chase. Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo was third for his eighth podium finish on the season.
10) Google announces Indian Language Internet Alliance: Stressing the need for Indian language content on the Internet, Google's India MD, Rajan Anandan has announced the Indian Language Internet Alliance. Anandan also said that Google aims to get 500 million internet users in India by 2017. In an effort to promote local language content on the internet, Google also announced its Hindi Voice Search. It also launched the website hindiWeb.com, which shall offer curated content in Hindi.
11) Pakistan won first test series against Australia in 20 Years: Pakistan achieved their first series win over Australia in 20 years with a thumping 356-run win in the second Test in Abu Dhabi on Monday, taking the two-match series 2-0.
12) Vijay Kelkar new NIPFP chairperson: Thirteenth Finance Commission Chairman Vijay Laxman Kelkar has been appointed as Chairperson of the Finance Ministry’s think-tank National Institute of Public Finance & Policy (NIPFP). He replaces former Reserve Bank governor C. Rangarajan. Dr. Kelkar’s four-year term commenced on Saturday, according to an NIPFP release.