1) Nobel Prize for medicine 2014 announced: Nobel Prize for medicine 2014 awarded to British-American researcher John O'Keefe alongwith Norwegian couple, Edvard Moser and May-Britt Moser for their discovery of the brain's GPS system. They revealed the mystery behind how the brain knows where we are and is able to navigate from one place to another. Read details: http://goo.gl/EJOwFZ
2) Eid-ul-Zuha celebrated across the nation: Lakhs of Muslims thronged mosques and Eidgahs on Monday to offer prayers as mass animal sacrifices, piety and spirit of brotherhood marked Eid-ul-Zuha which was celebrated across the country with traditional fervour. The celebrations were, however, a low-key affair in Jammu and Kashmir which is recovering from the losses of last month's devastating floods, with people observing austerity and many locals deciding to refrain from loud festivities.
3) Novak Djokovic thrashes Tomas Berdych to win fifth China Open title: Novak Djokovic thrashed Tomas Berdych in a one-sided contest to win his fifth China Open title on Sunday, while Maria Sharapova overcame Petra Kvitova 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 in the women’s final to move up to number two in the world rankings. Top seed Djokovic took 66 minutes to seal a 6-0, 6-2 win against Berdych, who raised his arms in celebration when he won a game to avoid the ignominy of a double bagel with the Serbian player leading 6-0, 5-0 and serving for the match.
4) World Habitat Day Observed across the World: World Habitat day was observed across the world on 6 October 2014. The purpose of this day is creation of the global awareness regarding the State of the towns and cities and the basic human right to adequate shelter. First Monday of October every year is designated as the World Habitat Day by the United Nation. The theme of the World Habitat Day 2013 is Shelter is my Right.
5) MS Dhoni becomes ISL team Chennaiyin FC co-owner: After the likes of Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli, Mahendra Singh Dhoni has become the latest cricketer to own a football team in the high-profile Indian Super League, investing in the Chennaiyin FC ahead of the event starting October 12. Dhoni, the current Indian cricket captain, has pencilled a deal to be a co-owner of Chennaiyin FC along with Bollywood actor Abhishek Bachchan.
6) World Junior Chess Championship began in Pune: The World Junior Chess Championship began in Pune with a glittering ceremony attended by eminent dignitaries from the sporting world, entertainment and corporate world. The tournament will be played till 19th October and will be conducted in the Swiss League format, comprising of 13 rounds with one round scheduled each day.