1) PM Narendra Modi announced Rs 1,000 crores for Andhra Pradesh: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who visited cyclone-battered Visakhapatnam on 14 Oct 2014, has announced a Rs. 1,000-crore package to help Andhra Pradesh get back on its feet.
2) World Standards Day observed: World Standards Day is celebrated internationally each year on 14 October.The aim of World Standards Day is to raise awareness among regulators, industry and consumers as to the importance of standardization to the global economy. 14 October was specifically chosen to mark the date, in 1946, when delegates from 25 countries first gathered in London and decided to create an international organization focused on facilitating standardization.
3) Indian cop wins UN's international female peacekeeper award: An Indian police inspector has been named recipient of a prestigious international female peacekeeper award by the UN's police division for her "exceptional achievements" in her duty with the UN mission in Afghanistan, including her efforts towards helping victims of sexual and gender-based violence. Inspector Shakti Devi of the Jammu & Kashmir Police, currently deployed in the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan ( UNAMA), has been awarded the International Female Police Peacekeeper Award 2014.
4) IRCTC launched ticket booking app for Android: IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) has released IRCTC Connect, the official railway ticket booking app for Android. The launch of the Android app comes more than an year after IRCTC released the first railway ticket booking apps for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. It had also launched a BlackBerry 10 app in August 2014. The IRCTC Connect app offers users a one-step login feature, the ability to search and book train tickets, view and cancel tickets and upcoming journey alerts.
5) Khaled Bahah new PM of Yemen: In Yemen, President Mansour Hadi has named country’s envoy to UN, Khaled Bahah as the next Prime Minister. He was among the three names proposed by the Houthi rebels to end the political standoff in the country.