Current Affairs PDF September 2014
Download as PDF- Click Here
1) Who was India's flag bearer at 17th Asian Games opening ceremony held on 19 September 2014?
Ans. Sardar Singh
Note: Sardar Singh is the captain of Indian Hockey team.
2) Name the Mandolin maestro who died on 19 September 2014 in Chennai?
Ans. Uppalapu Srinivas
3) Name Asia's first women Grand Slam winner who on 19 September 2014 announced her retirement from Tennis at the age of 32?
Ans. Li Na
4) Who was appointed as chairperson of National Commission for Women (NCW) recently?
Ans. Lalitha Kumaramangalam
5) International Day for the preservation of the Ozone Layer was observed on 16 September 2014. What was the theme this year?
Ans. Ozone Layer Protection: The Mission Goes On.
6) National Hindi Divas (Hindi Day) was observed across India on 14 September 2014. Why was Hindi Diwas celebrated on this day?
Ans. Hindi Day is observed because on 14 September 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted Hindi written in Devanagari script as the Official Language of the Union.
7) Which country on 19 September 2014 rejected the historic referendum for independence from United Kingdom through public voting?
8) 17th Asian Games also known as XVII Asiad commenced at Asiad Main Stadium in Incheon, South Korea on 19 September 2104. What is the theme of Asian Games 2014?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Meet Asia’s Future
9) What was the slogan of Asian Games 2014?
Ans. "Diversity Shines Here"
10) Union Sports Ministry on 17 September 2014 agreed to honour which Boxer with Arjuna Award?
Ans. Manoj Kumar
Note: Ministry admitted in the court that Manoj was initially not considered for the award by the committee as they mistakenly believed that he was involved in a doping case.
11) US President Barack Obama on 18 September 2014 nominated which Indian-American as the next US Ambassador to India?
Ans. Richard Rahul Verma
12) Which state became the first Indian state to ratify the National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC) Bill 2014?
Note: The Bill seeks to end the two-decade-old collegium system of appointments and transfers of judges to higher judiciary.
13) Which place became a permanent venue for the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) as decided by Union Government recently?
14) Bollywood actor Naseeruddin Shah on 12 September 2014 released his autobiography named?
Ans. And then One Day: A Memoir.
15) Who won the Miss America pageant on 14 September 2014?
Ans. Miss Kira Kazantsev
16) Which country won FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014 by defeating Serbia on 14 September 2014?
17) Name the young Indian shuttler won Indonesian Badminton Masters Grand Prix Gold on 14 September 2014?
Ans. HS Prannoy
18) US Senate on 19 September 2014 passed a bipartisan resolution declaring which day as US-India Partnership Day?
Ans. 30 September 2014
19) Name the Co-founder and leader of Oracle Corp who on 18 September 2014 stepped down as Chief Executive Officer (CEO)?
Ans. Larry Ellison
Note: Larry Ellison will now be the chairman of Oracle’s board and the Chief Technology Officer of the company.
20) Who became the first transgender television news anchor in India recently?
Ans. Padmini Prakash
Note: On the eve of Independence Day on 15 August 2014, she for the first time read out the day’s headlines from a teleprompter for the Lotus News Channel Studios.
21) President Pranab Mukherjee was on a visit to which foreign country from 14 to 17 September 2014?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Socialist Republic of Vietnam
22) Chinese President Xi Jinping on 16 September 2014 appointed whom as China's new Ambassador to India?
Ans. Le Yucheng
23) Name the former Director General of Police of Assam who committed suicide on 17 September 2014?
Ans. Sanker Baruah
Note: His suicide came after CBI raided his residence during the course of investigation of multi-crore Saradha chit fund case.
24) Who was appointed as United Nations Messenger of Peace with a special focus on climate change on 16 September 2014?
Ans. Actor Leonardo DiCaprio
25) International Economic Association (IEA) on 16 September 2014 appointed whom as president-elect of the association beginning September 2014?
Ans. Kaushik Basu
26) Which firm on 18 September 2014 launched equity index linked green bond?
Ans. BNP Paribas
Note: It was launched in collaboration with the World Bank which will help raise funds for products seeking to mitigate climate change. It is the first equity index linked with green bond.
27) Which state police on 16 September 2014 decided to launch its first e-police station to deal exclusively with vehicle thefts?
Ans. Delhi Police
28) The 20th Asian Junior & Cadet Table Tennis Championship was held from 12 to 16 September 2014 at?
Ans. Sardar Vallabhai Patel Indoor Stadium in Mumbai
29) Who was appointed as the Chairman of Quality Council of India (QCI) on 17 September 2014?
Ans. Adil Zainulbhai