Current Affairs PDF October 2014
Download as PDF: Click Here
1) Who won the 2014 Nobel Prize for Economics on 13 October 2014?
Ans. French economist Jean Tirole
Read details: http://goo.gl/GHQ7Fj
2) Who was chosen as the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of India’s Incheon Asian Games campaign at a felicitation of the medal winners by contingent sponsors, Samsung India on 13 October 2014?
Ans. MC Mary Kom
Note: She is the first Indian woman boxer to win a gold medal in Asian Games.
3) Who won the Man Booker Prize 2014 on 14 October 2014?
Ans. Australian author Richard Flanagan
Note: He won the Prize for his wartime novel The Narrow Road to the Deep North. This was the first year that the Man Booker prize was open to all authors writing in English, regardless of nationality.
4) Which bank on 14 October 2014 launched Facebook-based funds transfer platform KayPay?
Ans. Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB)
5) Who was appointed as the Chief Economic Advisor (CEA) in the Union Finance Ministry on 16 October 2014?
Ans. Arvind Subramanian
6) ISRO on 16 October 2014 successfully launched third navigation satellite in IRNSS series named?
Ans. IRNSS 1C.
Note: IRNSS- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System. Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) C26 injected IRNSS 1C into the designated orbit from the first launch pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. This was the 27th consecutive successful flight of PSLV.
7) Union government on 16 October 2014 launched Deendayal Upadhyay Shramev Jayate Karyakram. What is the aim of the scheme?
Ans. Scheme is aimed at creating conducive environment for industrial development and doing business with ease.
8) Who was appointment as the Union Finance Secretary on 16 October 2014?
Ans. Rajiv Mehrishi
Note: Mehrishi, an IAS of the 1978-batch of Rajasthan Cadre, replaced his batch-mate Arvind Mayaram, who was appointed as the Union Tourism Secretary.
9) Who was conferred with Euromoney’s Central Bank Governor of the Year Award 2014 in Washington 10 October 2014?
Ans. Dr. Raghuram Rajan, Governor of Reserve Bank of India
10) Name the Cyclonic Storm which struck the coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh and Odisha on 12 October 2014?
11) India on 30 September 2014 signed which convention on Mercury?
Ans. Minamata Convention
Note: The convention is named after the Japanese city Minamata that has become synonymous with deadly mercury contamination since 1950.
12) Which Indian shuttler won the Dutch Open Grand Prix badminton tournament on 12 October 2014?
Ans. Ajay Jayaram
13) What was India's rank in the Global Hunger Index (GHI) which was released on 13 October 2014 by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)?
14) World Food Day was observed across the world on 16 October 2014 with the theme?
Ans. Family Farming: Feeding the world, caring for the earth.
15) Name the Indian-born scientist who received the World Food Prize 2014 on 16 October 2014?
Ans. Sanjaya Rajaram
16) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty was observed across the world on?
Ans. 17 October 2014
Note: The theme for the day was Leave no one behind: think, decide and act together against extreme poverty.
17) India on 17 October 2014 successfully test fired its first long range subsonic cruise missile named?
18) International Cricket Council (ICC) on 10 October 2014 awarded the global broadcast agreement rights for ICC Events from 2015 to 2023 to?
Ans. Star India and Star Middle East.
19) Which countries were elected as non-permanent members of United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on 16 October 2014?
Ans. Venezuela, Angola, Malaysia, New Zealand and Spain
20) Global Handwashing Day (GHD) was observed across the world on?
Ans. 15 October 2014
Note: Theme for 2014 is "Clean Hands Save Lives".
21) Srilankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa on 13 October 2014 flagged off which train from Palai after 25 years?
Ans. Yal Devi Express
22) Which country will host first leg of Asia Cup Archery Tournament in Delhi in January 2015 as announced recently?
Note: Asia Cup will replace the Asian GP. The first leg will be conducted in Delhi in January 2015 while the second and third legs was allotted to Bangkok and Tehran.
23) Which MP of present Lok Sabha died on 13 October 2014 in Kolkata following a lung failure?
Ans. Kapil Krishna Thakur
24) Who was appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) of Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd (CPCL) on 14 October 2014?
Ans. Gautham Roy
25) Union Home Ministry on 17 October 2014 announced to rename 12 cities and towns of which state?
Note: Cities will be named as per pronunciation in Kannada language.
26) Who was appointed as Prime Minister of Yemen on 13 October 2014?
Ans. Khaled Bahah
27) NASA on 21 September 2014 successfully installed and activated its first Earth-observing instrument ............... on the International Space Station (ISS)?
Ans. ISS-RapidScat (ISS Rapid Scatterometer)
28) Who was honoured with the National Kishore Kumar Award for the year 2012-13 on 13 October 2014?
Ans. Noted lyricist Sameer
29) Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) on 11 October 2014 removed whom as its President?
Ans. Lalit Modi
Note: He was removed after a no—confidence motion against him was passed in Jaipur in which 23 of the 33 districts voted against Lalit Modi.
30) Who won the inaugural Russian Grand Prix of Formula One on 12 October 2014?
Ans. Lewis Hamilton