1) Hindi film 'Liar's Dice' to represent India at Oscars: Hindi film 'Liar's Dice', a road drama about a tribal woman's journey to find her missing husband, has been selected as India's official entry to the upcoming Academy awards in the best foreign film category. Directed by Geetu Mohandas and starring Geetanjali Thapa and Nawazuddin Siddiqui in lead roles, 'Liar's Dice' beat 29 other films to represent India at the Oscars 2015, Supran Sen, secretary general of the Film Federation of India (FFI) told PTI.
2) Abhinav Bindra Finishes Asian Games Career With Bronze: Ace Indian shooter Abhinav Bindra claimed his first Asian Games individual medal by winning the bronze in the men's 10 metre air rifle event at the Ongnyeon International Shooting Range at Incheon on Tuesday. Chinese pair Haoran Yang (209.6) and Yifei Cao (208.9) proved too strong for the 31-year-old Indian, who had a final score of 187.1. The 2008 Olympic gold medallist had won his first Asian Games medal earlier in the day by taking third place in the men's team 10m air rifle event along with compatriots Sanjeev Rajput and Ravi Kumar.
3) AP Govt. raises age limit to 40 years for direct recruitment: The Andhra Pradesh government has issued orders relaxing the upper age limit for direct recruitment from 34 years to 40 years for the ensuring recruitments by the AP Public Service Commission and other recruiting agencies. The G.O. No.295 issued on Tuesday said that the upper age limit was relaxed in order to compensate for the shrinking opportunities to the educated unemployed youth in Andhra Pradesh post bifurcation. The opportunities that existed before the bifurcation of combined AP were lost after the bifurcation of the State, it said.
4) Google launches new social campaign: Internet search major Google, on Tuesday, launched a new social campaign to increase the internet literacy among women in India. Google has tied up MARD, an initiative started by Bollywood actor-cum-director Farhan Akhtar. MARD has tied up with Google’s digital literacy initiative for women ‘Helping Women get online’ (HWGO). HWGO was launched by Google India in collaboration with Axis Bank, Intel and Hindustan Unilever about a year ago, a statement from Google India said.
5) South Indian Bank appoints V G Mathew as new MD & CEO: Private lender South Indian Bank has appointed V G Mathew as its Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer for three years. Mathew's appointment will come to effect from October 1, 2014. He was the Executive Vice President of the bank earlier.
6) Amit Mathew elected as chairman of Audit Bureau of Circulations: Amit Mathew on 22 September 2014 was unanimously elected as Chairman of Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) for the year 2014-15. He is the resident editor and director of Malyala Manorama. In addition to Mathews, Shashidhar Sinha was elected as the deputy chairman of the ABC for the 2014-15.