1) Justice H L Dattu sworn in as 42nd Chief Justice of India: Justice HL Dattu was on Sunday sworn in as the Chief Justice of India. He was administered the oath of office by President Pranab Mukherjee. He is the 42nd Chief Justice of India and will be at the helms of the Indian judiciary till December 2, 2015. He succeeds Chief Justice RM Lodha who demitted office September 27. The oath ceremony held in Darbar Hall of Rashtrapati Bhavan was attended by Vice President Hamid Ansari, former deputy prime minister LK Advani, home minister Rajnath Singh, urban development minister Venkaiah Naidu, outgoing Chief Justice RM Lodha and Justice AS Anand as well as other seating and retired judges.
2) O Panneerselvam named Tamil Nadu's new Chief Minister: O Panneerselvam has succeeded All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK)) chief as Tamil Nadu's new Chief Minister. He will take oath as the CM at 11 am on Monday. The decision to appoint Panneerselvam as the CM was taken at a meeting of AIADMK MLAs at the party headquarters in Chennai on Sunday where his name was proposed for the top post. Soon after his appointment, Paneerselvam, who is currently Tamil Nadu's Finance Minister, drove to Raj Bhavan to call on Governor Rosaiah to convey the party's decision. He was accompanied by Housing minister R Vaithilingam, Electricity Minister Natham Viswanathan and Highway Minister Edappadi Palanisamy.
3) Yogeshwar Dutt wins historic gold in wrestling at Asian Games: Olympic bronze medallist Yogeshwar Dutt won the fifth wrestling gold medal for India beating Jevon Balfour of Canada in the final of the men's freestyle 65kg category in the 2014 Commonwealth Games at the SECC Hall. Yogeshwar was declared the winner on grounds of technical superiority after he took a 10-0 lead within 1.53 minutes of the first period. It was also the second gold medal of the day after Babita Kumari's triumph in the women's freestyle 55kg category.
4) KV Kamath-led 15-member panel to study financing in MSME sector: The Finance Ministry has appointed a 15-member committee under the Chairmanship of ICICI Bank Chairman KV Kamath to examine the financial architecture for the micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) sector.
The committee will, among other things, come up with concrete suggestions to improve the share of institutional finance to MSMEs. This Panel has been asked to submit its final report in three months.
5) Freedom fighter Bhagat Singh remembered on birth anniversary: Country celebrated the 107th birth anniversary of Bhagat Singh. "On his birth anniversary, I bow to the proud son of India, Shaheed Bhagat Singh. His undying patriotism and courage continue to inspire," the Prime Minister said in a message. The revolutionary freedom fighter was hanged at a Lahore jail along with Shivaram Hari Rajguru and Sukhdev Thapar on March 23, 1931.
6) President's rule imposed in Maharashtra: President's rule was imposed in poll-bound Maharashtra after Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan resigned following the break-up of 15-year-old Congress-NCP alliance in the state. President Pranab Mukherjee signed the proclamation for imposition of central rule in Maharashtra, a day after the Union Cabinet recommended clamping of President's rule in the state, a Home Ministry spokesperson said.
7) Khushbir scripts history, wins silver in 20km race walk: Khushbir Kaur today became the first Indian woman to win a medal in race walking in the Asian Games as she clinched silver in 20km event on the second day of the athletics competition. The 21-year-old from Amritsar clocked 1:33:07 to finish behind Lu Xiuzhi of China, who won the gold in 1:31:06, at the Marathon Course. The Indian, who holds the national record of 1:31:40, was consistently third till the 18km mark before going up a position in the final two kilometres, thanks largely to the slowing down of second-placed Chinese Nie Jingjing, who eventually finished fourth.