1) Mission Mars accomplished, India's Mangalyaan enters red planet's orbit: Creating history in space, India on Wednesday (September 24) successfully placed its Mangalyaan into the Martian orbit in a record time of mere three hours. Thus, India has become the first Asian country to reach Mars and the first in the world to enter Martian orbit in its maiden attempt. Nearly 13 hours after the Mangalyaan was placed in the martian orbit, the spacecraft started sending pictures of the red planet's surface, confirmed a senior official of the ISRO. With the success of Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), India has joined the United States, European Space Agency and the former Soviet Union in the elite club of Martian explorers.
2) Supreme Court cancels all but four coal blocks allocated since 1993: The Supreme Court on Wednesday cancelled 214 coal block allocations, giving the owners six months time to wind up their work. A bench, headed by Chief Justice RM Lodha, saved only four blocks — one belonging to NTPC and SAIL each and two allocated to Sasan ultra mega power projects — from being cancelled. The bench, also comprising justices Madan B Lokur and Kurian Joseph, granted six months breathing time to mining companies to wind up their operations in the coal blocks.
3) PM Modi inaugurates mega food park in Tumkur, Karnataka: Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a mega food park in Tumkur, Karnataka on Wednesday. The park has been developed with the support of the Ministry of Food, state and central governments. Future Group's food park is first of its kind in India with the group investing about Rs 250 crore in the project. Till date, 50 units have been established for food processing.
PM Modi congratulated the crowds on the Mangalyaan successfully reaching Mars. Modi in his speech emphasised the importance of the state and Centre working together for any scheme to be successfully implemented.
4) ICICI launched SB account for minors: Private sector bank ICICI Bank on Wednesday launched a savings account for minors above 10 years of age. The account, which will be opened in the name of the minor, will offer a personalised cheque book and a debit card with a picture of his or her choice, the bank said in a statement. “We are pleased to offer the ‘Smart Star’ account, which allows minors to operate their accounts independently. This will help to inculcate a habit of saving and responsibility of spending wisely,” bank’s executive director Rajiv Sabharwal said.
5) Atapattu appointed SL head coach: Marvan Atapattu's appointment as Sri Lanka's first full-time local coach in 15 years has been confirmed by Sri Lanka Cricket, following a six-week vetting process, and his three-month tenure as interim coach. SLC's coach-selection committee interviewed Atapattu and one other remaining candidate on Tuesday, and then recommended Atapattu as their preferred candidate to the executive committee. The executive committee then "unanimously approved and appointed Mr. Marvan Attapattu to the position of National Head Coach of Sri Lanka Cricket with immediate effect," an SLC release said.