Current Affairs PDF
August 2014- Last Week
Download as PDF: Click Here
1) Name the mega financial inclusion plan launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 28 August 2014?
Ans. Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
Read More about the scheme>> http://goo.gl/ryNzu7
2) President of India Pranab Mukherjee presented the National Sports Awards to eminent sportsperson on 29 August 2014 at Rashtrapati Bhavan. Who won the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2014?
Ans. No sportsperson was selected for Khel Ratna award this year.
Note: Since the inception of the award in 1991 this was the second time that no award was presented. The previous was in 1993-94.
3) How many sports persons were awarded Arjuna Awards 2014?
Read list of winners with discipline>> http://goo.gl/HUhb1S
4) Who became the Ambassador of Turn Back Crime campaign of Interpol on 27 August 2014?
Ans. Shah Rukh Khan
5) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 27 August 2014 set up a committee to identify obsolete laws. Who will chair the committee?
Ans. R. Ramanujam, Secretary in the PMO
Note: The committee will identify the laws which they believed hamper governance by creating avoidable confusion.
6) President Pranab Mukherjee on 26 August 2014 appointed Governors for four states Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Goa. Name the governors of each state?
Ans. Kalyan Singh- Rajasthan
Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala- Karnataka
Ch. Vidyasagar Rao- Maharashtra
Mridula Sinha- Goa
7) Name the director of the famous film Gandhi who died on 24 August 2014 at the age of 90? Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Richard Attenborough
Note: The film that won Oscar awards in eight different categories in the 55th Academy Awards depicted Gandhi’s non-violent, non-cooperative independence movement and others against the United Kingdom’s rule in India during the 20th century.
8) President of India, Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated India's first Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST) at which state on 24 August 2014?
Ans. Shibpur, Howrah in West Bengal
9) Which state government on 28 August 2014 made it mandatory for women riding a two-wheeler to wear helmets?
Note: The government granted exemption to Sikh women to value religious sentiments of Sikhs.
10) National Sports Day was celebrated on 29 August across the country. Why is this day celebrated on 29 August every year?
Ans. To mark the birth anniversary of hockey legend Dhyan Chand.
11) Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) on 28 August 2014 launched a new application to book train tickets for which smartphone users?
Ans. Black Berry
12) Union Cabinet on 27 August 2014 announced to lift the restriction of one LPG cylinder per month per household. However, the Union Cabinet did not change the overall cap of ...... subsidised cylinders per year?
13) Union Government on 27 August 2014 launched a new domain called ........ in Devanagari script in New Delhi?
Ans. Dot Bharat
Note: Initially the domain will cover eight languages like Hindi, Bodo, Dogri, Konkani, Maithili, Marathi, Nepali and Sindhi.
14) Sheila Dikshit on 26 August 2014 resigned as the Governor of?
15) "Not Just an Accountant" book which is going to be released in October 2014 is authored by?
Ans. Vinod Rai
Note: He was the former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG)
16) Ice Bucket Challenge was in news recently. This Challenge has led to raising of millions of dollars as funds for research of which disease?
Ans. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) disease
17) Which state government reduced the probation period in direct recruitment of its employees on higher posts from two to one year on 25 August 2014?
18) Union Textiles Ministry on 25 August 2014 signed MoU with which e-store to provide online marketing platform to handloom weavers?
19) K Sankaranarayanan resigned from his office on 24 August 2014 as the governor of which state?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Note: He tendered his resignation in the backdrop of being transferred to Mizoram.
20) Vinod Kumar Duggal resigned as Governor of which state on 28 August 2014?
21) Tata Value Homes tied up with which e-commerce major on 26 August 2014 to sell houses online through the online marketplace model?
22) Which state cabinet on 27 August 2014 ratified the new liquor policy which plans to shut down bars attached to hotels below the five-star category & also to phase out liquor from the state in a phased manner?
23) Union Government on 28 August 2014 notified enhancing the social security cover limit under the social security schemes run by EPFO. Expand EPFO?
Ans. Employees Provident Fund Organisation
24) Name the Indo-Russian Air Force Exercise which was held in the last week of August 2014?
Ans. Avia Indra-2014
25) Who was appointed as new chief of Joint Intelligence Committee on 25 August 2014?
Ans. RN Ravi
26) Union Government launched India's first ethanol-run bus in which city on 22 August 2014?
27) Who was appointed as CRPF Special Director-General by appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25 August 2014?
Ans. Ramesh Chand Tayal
28) Which private mobile service provider on 26 August 2014 signed a deal with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) for sharing around 4000 mobile towers?
Ans. Reliance Jio Infocomm (RJIL)
29) Who was elected as the first President of Indian Steel Association (ISA) on 26 August 2014?
30) Who recently broke the 50-km Walk World Record at the European Athletics Championship held in Zurich, Switzerland?
Ans. Yohann Diniz of France
31) World’s oldest metal object, cone-shaped copper awl was discovered by archaeologists at Middle Chalcolithic burial site in which country recently?
Ans. Tel Tsaf in Israel
32) Who was sworn in on 28 August 2014 as 12th President of Turkey?
Ans. Recep Tayyip Erdogan