1) German Striker Miroslav Klose announced retirement From International Football: German striker Miroslav Klose, the all-time World Cup top scorer, announced his retirement from international football on Monday. The 36-year-old leaves the German national team as a World Cup winner after last month helping Joachim Loew's side to their first global crown since 1990 when they defeated Argentina 1-0 in the Rio-hosted final. The Lazio frontman picked up his 16th goal, in what was his fourth World Cup, to surpass Brazilian Ronaldo as the tournament's leading scorer.
2) Tata Sons-Singapore Airlines 'Vistara' set for October launch: The Tata Sons-Singapore Airlines joint venture on Monday unveiled the brand name of its new airline 'Vistara', and said it is expected to launch operations by October with the first aircraft coming in by September. "We are in the last lap of the process of securing the Air Operator Permit (AOP of flying licence). There are a series of approvals which we have to get to the satisfaction of DGCA," said Phee Teik Yeoh, the CEO of the start-up full-service airline 'Vistara'.
3) Centre moves new version of Judicial Appointments Bill: The government on Monday withdrew the UPA’s Bill on judicial appointments in the Rajya Sabha and introduced a fresh one in the Lok Sabha, where it has a majority. The National Judicial Appointments Commission Bill, 2014, and the 121st Constitution Amendment Bill (Insertion of new articles 124A, 124B and 124C) were introduced in the Lok Sabha by Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad.
4) Government to declare ‘National Hypertension Day’ soon: Union Health Ministry has conceptualized dedicating a particular day of each year for highlighting the dangers of Hypertension. Speaking at the 23rd Annual Conference of the Hypertension Society of India (HSICON), Health Minister Harsh Vardhan, said “I am preparing the Ministry to meet the growing burden of non-communicable diseases (NCD). Hypertension, diabetes, cancers, coronary artery disease, etc. are projected by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as the biggest gnawers of our public health budget in the next decade.” According to a report released by the WHO, Hypertension accounts for 7 per cent of disability adjusted life years worldwide and 9.4 million deaths annually.
5) John Nyumbu becomes second Zimbabwean to take five wickets on Test debut: John Nyumbu became the second Zimbabwe bowler to take five wickets in an innings on Test debut. He achieved the milestone during the only Test against South Africa at the Harare Sports Club. Nyumbu recorded figures of five for 157 as Zimbabwe bowled South Africa out for 397. Andy Blignaut was the first Zimbabwean bowler to achieve the milestone with recorded figures of five for 73 against Bangladesh in the year 2001.
6) R Ashwin becomes world's No.1 Test all-rounder: India's Ravichandran Ashwin on Monday became the number one Test all-rounder in ICC rankings following his fine show with the bat in the fourth cricket Test against England in Manchester. Ashwin scored 40 and 46 not out at the Old Trafford though India lost the Test by an innings and 54 runs. As a bowler, Ashwin went wicketless in his 14 overs in England's first innings. The Indian off-spinner, who now has 372 rating points, displaced South Africa's Vernon Philander (365) at the top of the Reliance ICC Player Rankings for Test all-rounders.
7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga defeated Roger Federer to win Rogers Cup: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga won the Rogers Cup on Sunday, beating second-seeded Roger Federer 7-5, 7-6 (3) for his fourth straight victory over a higher-seeded opponent. The 13th-seeded Frenchman won his first ATP Tour title of the season and 11th overall. He beat top-ranked Novak Djokovic on Thursday, eighth-seeded Andy Murray on Friday and seventh-seeded Grigor Dimitrov on Saturday.
8) Hyundai rolls out Elite i20: Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL), on Monday, launched Elite i 20, the all-new version of its premium compact car i 20. The company expects a growth of eight per cent in sales this year driven by gradual turnaround in the automobile market. The Elite i 20 will be available in both petrol and diesel options. While the petrol version is priced between Rs.4.90 lakh and Rs.6.46 lakh, the diesel variants will be between Rs.6.09 lakh and Rs.7.67 lakh.