1) Amit Shah confirmed as BJP President at party’s National Council meeting: The Bharatiya Janata Party's first National Council meet after forming the government at the Centre held in New Delhi on Saturday. The meet was held to discuss party organization issues. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh lavishly praised new Bharatiya Janata Party president Amit Shah for his huge contribution in facilitating the party's victory in the 2014 general elections.
2) AIMA Managing India Awards 2014: Godrej group Chairman Adi Godrej was presented the ‘Business Leader of the Year’ award by the All India Management Association (AIMA) at its Managing India Awards 2014 function held in New Delhi on 6 August 2014. HDFC Chairman Deepak Parekh bagged the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’, Malayala Manorama Chief Editor & MD Mammen Mathew was honoured for his outstanding contribution to the media, while Sankara Nethralaya Founder and Chairman Emeritus S. S. Badrinath was selected for ‘Outstanding Institution Builder’ award.
3) Indian Men’s Hockey team defeated Bangladesh to clinch hockey series: Indian Men’s Hockey team on 9 August 2014 won the three-match hockey series against Bangladesh, 3-0. To win the series, the Indian team defeated Bangladesh 3-1 in the third and final match in Dhaka. India had taken a winning lead by clinching the second encounter played on Friday by a 5-1 margin.
4) Iran-140 Sepahan Air passenger plane crashed near Mehrabad airport: Iran-140 Sepahan Air passenger plane crashed on 10 August 2014 near Mehrabad airport, west of Tehran in Iran. At least 39 passengers including 8 crew members died in the crash that occurred after the engine of the plane went out. Nine people were injured in the incident.
5) Indian Women's Recurve Team Win Gold, Men Bag Silver at Archery World Cup: India women's recurve team, led by Deepika Kumari, clinched the gold medal by defeating Mexico 6-0 while, the men's recurve team settled for silver in the final Archery World Cup Stage IV in Wroclaw, Poland. India defeated Mexico without yielding a single set point in a clean sweep to clinch the recurve women's gold medal.
6) Iraq president names Haider al-Abadi new prime minister: Iraq’s president asked a veteran Shiite politician, Haider al-Abadi, to form a new government, setting the stage for a vicious political showdown in a country already struggling to contain an Islamist extremist insurgency.