Current Affairs PDF
July 2014- Last Week
Download as PDF- Click Here
1) Name the web platform launched on 26 July 2014 by Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi to facilitate Citizen Engagement in good governance?
2) World Hepatitis Day was observed across the world on 28 July 2014 with the theme?
Ans. Think Again
Note: This year’s theme Think Again, acknowledges that we do not know nearly enough about viral hepatitis as a health threat in much of the world.
3) Who took over as the new Chief of Army Staff on 31 July 2014?
Ans. Lt. General Dalbir Singh Suhag
4) Name the South African all-rounder who on 30 July 2014 announced his retirement from all-formats of International cricket?
Ans. Jacques Kallis
5) Name the Chief of Air Staff who took over as the Chairman of the Chief of Staff Committee (COSC) on 30 July 2014?
Ans. Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha
6) Who took charge as the fourth Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 31 July 2014?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. SS Mundra
Note: With this appointment, Mundra will look after banking supervision, currency management, financial stability, rural credit, customer service and also the Reserve Bank’s human resources & security.
7) Name the controversial autobiography written by Kunwar Natwar Singh which was published on 1 August 2014?
Ans. One Life is Not Enough: An Autobiography
Note: He is the former External Affairs Minister and senior Congress Party leader. It has been in news and debate recently because it reveals much information about Sonia Gandhi and her role in formation of UPA-1.
8) Who became the first Indian woman gymnast and second person of the country to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games on 31 July 2014?
Ans. Dipa Karmakar
Note: She bagged a bronze in the vault event. First Indian male gymnast to win a medal at CWG was Ashish Kumar. He won a silver in vault and bronze in floor events in the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games.
9) Who was selected for Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award on 31 July 2014?
Ans. Muzaffar Ali
Note: He is a noted filmmaker. Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award (Rajiv Gandhi National Communal Harmony Award) is an award of India that is given for outstanding contribution towards promotion of communal harmony, national integration, peace and fight against violence. It was constituted in 1992.
10) Name the Deputy National Security Adviser who resigned on 30 July 2014?
Ans. Nehchal Sandhu
11) Who was appointed as the horticulture ambassador of Maharashtra on 28 July 2014?
Ans. Amitabh Bachchan
12) Name the nationwide scheme launched by Union Government of India on 28 July 2014 to promote conservation and developments of indigenous breeds of cows in a focused and scientific manner?
Ans. Rashtriya Gokul Mission
13) International Tiger Day 2014 was observed on?
Ans. 29 July 2014
Note: The goal of the Tiger Day is to promote protection and expansion of the wild tiger habitats and also to gain support awareness for tiger conservation.
14) Name the book authored by Neel Mukherjee which was shortlisted for Man Booker Prize 2014 in the fourth week of July 2014?
Ans. The Lives of Others
Note: Neel Mukherjee is a Kolkata-born British Indian writer and this is his second novel.
15) Who was elected as the seventh President of Iraq on 24 July 2014?
Ans. Muhammad Fuad Masum
16) Name NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover which recently set the record of maximum distance covered by a rover?
Note: It set the record when it travelled a distance of 157 feet (48 meters) on 27 July 2014 and with this the total distance (or odometry) covered by Opportunity rover stood at 25.01 miles (40.25 kilometers). The previous off-Earth roving record was held by Lunokhod 2 rover of erstwhile USSR (Soviet Union).
17) Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on 28 July 2014 registered a preliminary enquiry (PE) against Internet giant Google for which project for jeopardising national security?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Mapathon 2013
Note: Mapathon 2013 was conducted by Google in February – March 2013 in which Google asked citizens to map their neighbourhoods, especially details related to hospitals and restaurants.
18) Who recently created a record of fastest serve in the women’s tennis?
Ans. Sabine Lisicki from Germany
Note: The world No29 Lisicki set the record by serving at 131 miles per hour during the first-round loss in the Bank of the West Classic Stanford, USA.
19) Who won the 101st edition of the Tour de France in cycling on 27 July 2014?
Ans. Vincenzo Nibali of Italy
20) 'Vijay Mallya Story' a book written by whom was published by Penguin Books Limited recently?
Ans. K Giriprakash
Note: K. Giriprakash is the Chief of Bureau, The Hindu Business Line.
21) Name the eminent Hindi litterateur who died on 21 July 2014?
Ans. Madhukar Singh
22) Union government on 24 July 2014 decided to appoint a committee to review the gas pricing formula. Who will head the committee?
Ans. Suresh Prabhu
23) Name the the renowned classical singer who died at her Bandra home on 24 July 2014 due to heart attack?
Ans. Sushilarani Patel
24) International Gaucher Day was observed on?
Ans. 26 July
25) Supreme Court of India on 31 July 2014 appointed a one-member commission headed by .......... to probe the 2006 Meerut Fire tragedy?
Ans. Justice SB Sinha