Current Affairs PDF
August 2014- Third Week
Download as PDF: Click Here
1) Name the renowned filmmaker and poet who was presented the 22nd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana award on 20 August 2014 at Jawahar Bhawan in New Delhi?
Ans. Muzaffar Ali
Note: Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award or Rajiv Gandhi National Communal Harmony Award was instituted by All-India Congress Committee (AICC) in 1992 to commemorate the contribution of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
2) Who was appointed as Chairman of Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on 20 August 2014?
Ans. Prof. KV Thomas
Note: He will be the 94th Chairman of PAC. KV Thomas is the senior Congress Parliamentarian from Ernakulum Constituency, Kerala. Before him Murli Manohar Joshi of BJP was the chairman.
3) Which bank became the first bank in India to launch EMI facility on Debit Card on 19 August 2014?
Ans. ICICI Bank
4) Name the world-renowned yoga guru who died on 20 August 2014?
Ans. B K S Iyengar
5) Name India’s indigenously designed warship which was dedicated to the nation by Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi on 16 August 2014?
Ans. INS Kolkata (D63)
6) Who was was elected as Chairman of Indian Banks Association (IBA) on 20 August 2014?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. T M Bhasin
Note: He will be the Chairman of IBA for 2014-15.T M Bhasin is the chairman and managing director of Indian Bank. K R Kamath, who is the chairman and managing director of Punjab National Bank, was the previous chairman of this Association.
7) Name the eminent Kannada writer and Jnanpith awardee who died on 22 August 2014 at a hospital in Bangalore?
Ans. UR Ananthamurthy
Note: Ananthamurthy was a new voice in Kannada literature and is considered as one of the pioneers of the Navya movement. His nomination for the 2013 Man Booker International Prize brought him to the attention of a Western audience.
8) Name the Sri Lankan batsman and a former captain of the Sri Lankan cricket team who retired from the Test Cricket on 18 August 2014?
Ans. Mahela Jayawardene
9) Which former Indian player was appointed as the Director of Indian Cricket Team on 19 August 2014?
Ans. Ravi Shastri
Note: Ravi Shastri would be assisting the team for the upcoming ODI series (25 August 2014-5 September 2014) and a single Twenty-20 (7 September 2014) against England.
10) World Humanitarian Day was observed across the world on 19 August 2014 with the theme?
Ans. The World Needs More Humanitarian Heroes.
11) India on 18 August 2014 called-off the Foreign Secretary-level bilateral talks with which country?
Note: The decision was taken by the Union government after Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit invited Kashmiri separatist Hurriyat leaders in Delhi for a meet.
12) Name the scheme announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 19 August 2014 to meet the irrigation needs of all farmers across the country?
Ans. Pradhan Mantri Krishi Seenchayi Yojana
13) Name India’s first indigenously-built stealth Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) which was commissioned in Indian Navy by Union Defence Minister Arun Jaitley on 23 August 2014?
Ans. INS Kamorta
Note: It was commissioned at naval dockyard in Vishakhapatnam.
14) Who won Cincinnati Tennis Open on 17 August 2014?
Ans. Roger Federer
15) District and Sessions Court of Imphal, Manipur ordered release of which human rights activist who is on a hunger striker since November 2000 for scrapping Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA), 1958?
Ans. Irom Sharmila Chanu
Note: She is also known as Iron Lady of Manipur or Mengoubi.
16) Which state will host Football Federation Cup in August 2015?
Ans. Jammu and Kashmir
17) Union Information and Broadcasting Ministry on 21 August 2014 withheld the release of which Punjabi film based on Indira Gandhi's assassination?
Ans. Kaum de Heere. In English means Diamonds of the Community.
18) Who has resigned as the Prime Minister of Iraq on 14 August 2014?
Ans. Nuri al-Maliki
19) Who was appointed as the Chef-de-Mission for Asian Games on 18 August 2014?
Ans. Adille Sumariwala
Note: He was the President of Athletics Federation of India (AFI).
20) England recently won the 5-match ............ Trophy test-series played against India by 3-1?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Pataudi Trophy
21) Book Assassination of Rajiv Gandhi: An Inside Job recently released was authored by?
Ans. Faraz Ahmad
22) Who was was elected as the Prime Minister of Thailand on 21 August 2014?
Ans. Prayuth Chan-ocha
Note: He was the Thailand coup leader and Army Chief.
23) Who will become the youngest Formula One (F1) driver in the F1 history when he will compete for the 2015 season?
Ans. Max Verstappen of Netherlands
Note: He will be 17 years and few months old in 2015.
24) Name the weightlifter who won first medal for India at 2nd Youth Olympics on 22 August 2014?
Ans. Ragala Venkat Rahul
Note: Event was held in Nanjing, China.
25) Name the Delhi-based wrestling academy which was chosen for the 2014 Rashtritya Khel Protsahan Puraskar (RKPP) on 21 August 2014?
Ans. Guru Hanuman Akhara
26) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 21 August 2014 dedicated 765 KV Ranchi-Dharmjaygarh-Sipat Transmission Line (Powergrid) to the nation in which state?
27) India celebrated its ...... Independence Day on 15 August 2014?