Current Affairs PDF
August 2014- First Week
Download PDF: Click Here
Ans. Glasgow, Scotland
2) Where will the 21st Commonwealth Games be held in 2018?
Ans. Gold Coast in Australia
3) What was India's position in the Common Wealth Games 2014?
Ans. Fifth position
Note: India finished with a total of 64 medals (15 Gold, 30 silver and 19 Bronze).
4) In the closing ceremony of CWG 2014 who was the Indian contingent’s flag bearer?
Ans. Seema Punia
Note: She won won Silver in women's discus throw.
5) Who was the torch bearer for India in the opening ceremony of CWG 2014?
Ans. Shooter Vijay Kumar
6) Which coutries finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively in CWG 2014?
Ans. 1st- England with 58 Gold
2nd- Australia with 49 Gold
3rd- Canada with 32 Gold.
Note: Host Scotland finished 4th with 19 Gold.
7) Who became the first Indian woman gymnast and second person of the country (after Ashish Kumar, male who won in the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games) to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games?
Ans. Dipa Karmakar
8) Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the first week of August 2014 visited which neighboring country?
Note: This was the first visit of an Indian Prime Minister to Nepal in 17 years. In 1997, then Prime Minister I K Gujral had visited Nepal.
9) Who on 3 August 2014 became the third Indian to win Gold medal in Badminton at Commonwealth Games (CWG)?
Ans. Parupalli Kashyap
Note: He defeated Derek Wong of Singapore in the final. Prakash Padukone won Gold for India in 1978 and Syed Modi in 1982.
10) Who was appointed as Deputy National Security Adviser (NSA) on 4 August 2014?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Arvind Gupta
Note: Post of Deputy National Security Adviser fell vacant after the resignation of Nehchal Sandhu.
11) Name the eminent cartoonist who created the comic book character like Chacha Chaudhary and Sabu who died on 6 August 2014?
Ans. Pran Kumar Sharma
12) Name the anytime anywhere bill payment system for which Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 7 August 2014 issued draft guidelines?
Ans. Bharat Bill Payment System (BPPS)
13) Lok Sabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan on 7 August 2014 appointed a committee under the chairmanship of former home secretary .......... to review Parliament security?
Ans. RK Singh
14) World Health Organization (WHO) has declared which disease as Global Health Emergency on 6 August 2014?
15) Who was selected as the Chairperson of the Arjuna Awards Selection Committee on 7 August 2014?
Ans. Kapil Dev
Note: This Committees will have 15 members which includes12 sportspersons and 3 officials.
16) The prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Awards for year 2014 was announced on 31 July 2014. Name the winners?
Ans. Hu Shuli (Chinese investigative journalist), Saur Marlina Manurung, Omara Khan Masoudi from Afghanistan, The Citizens Foundation from Pakistan, Wang Canfa from China and Randy Halasan for Emergent Leadership from the Philippines.
17) Union Government granted Navratna Status to which company on 23 July 2014?
Ans. Container Corporation of India Limited (CONCOR)
Note: It is the 17th Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) to achieve Navratna Status.
18) Name the Chairperson of the National Commission for Women (NCW) who demitted office on 1 August 2014?
Ans. Mamta Sharma
19) Which bank bagged the Core Banking System Initiative Award for the year 2014 at the Asian Banking and Finance - Retail Banking Awards 2014?
Ans. Bharatiya Mahila Bank Ltd
20) Name the Spanish midfielder who on 5 August 2014 announced his retirement from International football?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Xavi Hernandez
21) Which country launched construction work of a new Suez Canal on 6 August 2014?
22) Name the Governor of Mizoram who was removed from the post on 6 August 2014 by President of India?
Ans. Kamla Beniwal
23) Who took oath as the first woman Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court on 5 August 2014?
Ans. Justice Dr. Manjula Chellur
24) Who was selected as the Chairman of the Dronacharya Award Selection Committee on 7 August 2014?
Ans. Ajitpal Singh
Note: He was a three-time Olympian and former Hockey Captain
25) Who was given AIMA Business Leader of the Year’ Award 2014 on 6 August 2014?
Ans. Adi Godrej, Godrej group Chairman
26) Name the Syndicate Bank Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD) who was suspended by Union government on 4 August 2014 after he was arrested by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on 2 August 2014 for accepting bribe?
Ans. SK Jain
27) Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) on 3 August 2014 set up a four member committee to review the present status of Universities Grants Commission’s (UGC). Who will head the committee?
Ans. Hari Gautam, the former UGC chairman.
28) Prasar Bharati, India’s Public Service Broadcaster on 5 August 2014 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with ....... for distribution of Doordarshan’s overseas India channel, DD India on a DTH platform?
Ans. Deutsche Welle, the German public service broadcaster.
29) Union cabinet on 6 August 2014 approved the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2014 to amend which act?
Ans. Juvenile Justice (JJ) Act, 2000
30) A book Strictly Personal, Manmohan and Gursharan published on 5 August 2014 was authored by?
Ans. Daman Singh
Note: Book is the untold story of Manmohan Singh, India’s thirteenth Prime Minister, and his wife.
31) Name the striker of Ivory Coast who announced his retirement from international football on 8 August 2014?
Ans. Didier Drogba
32) Union Cabinet on 6 August 2014 raised the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) limit in Defence sector from ...... percent to 49 percent?
33) Defence procurements from which Italian company were put on hold by the Union Government on 5 August 2014?
34) The construction work of the world’s tallest railway bridge began on 28 July 2014 near Noney in which state?
35) Name the senior advocate and former Solicitor-General who on 4 August 2014 withdrew as amicus curiae in Padmanabhaswamy Temple Case?
Ans. Gopal Subramanium
Note: The report on the condition of the temple and its assets in Thiruvananthapuram had created a storm.