Current Affairs PDF
August 2014- Second Week
Download as PDF: Click Here
1) Name the Indian-origin mathematician who recently won Fields Medal which is known as 'Nobel Prize' of maths?
Ans. Manjul Bhargava
Note: He won the award for developing new approach in the geometry of numbers. Fields Medal was first awarded in 1936 to Finnish mathematician Lars Ahlfors and American mathematician Jesse Douglas.
2) Who was appointed as new Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) on 1 August 2014?
Ans. K V Chowdary
Note: He succeed R K Tewari. CBDT is the apex authority of the Income Tax department.
3) Paragliding World Cup Association selected which state in India as a venue to host the 2015 para-gliding World Cup?
Ans. Himachal Pradesh
Note: This will be the first para-gliding World Cup to be hosted in India. The tournament will be organised under the aegis of Para-gliding World Cup Association, France.
4) Union Government decided to appoint whom as the head of the Expenditure Management Commission on 12 August 2014?
Ans. Bimal Jalan
Note: He is the former RBI governor. He would be tasked to suggest ways for managing public finances by reducing food, fertiliser and oil subsidies to include fiscal deficit.
5) President Pranab Mukherjee on 12 August 2014 conferred the Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards. Name the winners?
Ans. BJP leader Arun Jaitley received the award for the year 2010.
Congress Veteran Karan Singh received the award for the year 2011.
JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav received the award for the year for 2012.
6) Tata-Singapore Airlines (SIA) recently named its upcoming joint venture airline as?
Note: It will start its operation from October 2014. Vistara is an inspiration from Sanskrit word, Vistaar that means limitless expanse. It has drawn inspiration from the brand’s domain – the limitless sky.
7) Who became the new Chairperson of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on 16 August 2014?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Rajni Razdan
Note: She was appointed as Chairperson of UPSC by the President Pranab Mukherjee on 14 August 2014 in accordance with the Article 316 (1) of the Constitution. She replaced Prof. D P Agrawal who completed his six-year tenure as Chairman of UPSC on 16 August 2014.
8) Indian Women’s Recurve team on 10 August 2014 won gold medal at the Archery World Cup Stage IV. Where was the event held?
Ans. Wroclaw, Poland
9) Which Indian player was ranked number one Test all-rounder in ICC Test team rankings released on 11 August 2014?
Ans. Ravichandran Ashwin
10) Who became the first Indian player to reach the semi-final of World Junior Squash Championship on 13 August 2014?
Ans. Kush Kumar
11) Which football club on 13 August 2014 lifted the UEFA Football Super Cup, the first European trophy of the season?
Ans. Real Madrid
12) Selection committee headed by Kapil Dev gave no nominations for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2014 on 12 August 2014. Since the inception of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in 1991-92, this is the ..... time that there has been no nomination?
Ans. Second. Other was in 1993-94.
13) Name the German player who announced his retirement from international football on 11 August 2014?
Ans. Miroslav Klose
14) Who became the first woman to win coveted Fields Medal on 13 August 2014 in Seoul, South Korea?
Ans. Maryam Mirzakhani, an Iranian born mathematician
15) Which state police on 10 August 2014 launched Whatsapp helpline to curb corruption?
Ans. Delhi Police
16) Andhra Pradesh Government on 12 August 2014 decided to make which city as its ad hoc capital?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
17) Which state became the most favoured destination for foreign tourists in the North-Eastern (NE) region of India as per the data released by the Union Tourism Ministry in the second week of August 2014?
18) Iraqi President Mohammed Fuad Masum named whom as the new Iraqi Prime Minister on 11 August 2014?
Ans. Haider al-Abadi
19) World Elephant Day was observed across the world on?
Ans. 12 August 2014
20) Name the powerful Typhoon which smashed large parts of south-west Japan on 9 August 2014?
Ans. Typhoon Halong
21) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 12 August 2014 laid the foundation of 44 MW Chutak hydro-electric project and Nimoo Bazgo project in which state?
Ans. Jammu and Kashmir.
22) Name the Delhi University professor who on 13 August 2014 received Global South Award given by International Political Science Association (IPSA)?
Ans. Dr. Sunil Kumar
23) Who became the oldest-ever woman to win a Gold medal in European Championships recently?
Ans. Jo Pavey of Great Britain