1) 20th Commonwealth Games began in Glasgow: The 20th Commonwealth Games began in Glasgow. Scotland rolled out a spectacular opening ceremony with a dazzling and colourful display of their unique culture and heritage, which also had some Indian flavour. A surprisingly subdued Glasgow suddenly sprang to life and exuberance with a three-hour mesmerising show of light and sound and colourful hues which the organisers claimed was watched by more than one billion people. The Indian contingent headed by flag bearer and Olympic silver medalist shooter Vijay Kumar led the Parade of Nations, by virtue of being hosts in 2010 Delhi edition. Click Here to read questions on CWG 2014.
2) India, Pakistan foreign secretaries to meet on August 25: After the decision to invite Nawaz Sharif for PM Narendra Modi's swearing in, his government on Wednesday pulled another rabbit out of its hat as it confirmed a meeting between the foreign secretaries of India and Pakistan next month. Foreign secretary Sujatha Singh will travel to Islamabad for a meeting with her counterpart Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry on August 25 in a likely attempt to revive the dialogue process which has effectively remained stalled since the ceasefire violations in January 2013.
3) Plane crashed in Taiwan, 47 trapped, feared dead: A plane landing in stormy weather crashed outside an airport on a small Taiwanese island late Wednesday, and the transport minister said 47 people were trapped and feared dead. Another 11 people were injured when the ATR-72 operated by Taiwan's TransAsia Airways crashed on Penghu, an island in the Taiwan Strait between Taiwan and China, Transport Minister Yeh Kuang-shih was quoted as saying by the government's Central News Agency. The plane was arriving from Kaohsiung, a city in southern Taiwan.
4) Honda Mobilio Launched in India: Honda Cars India on Wednesday launched its new Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV), the Mobilio at a starting price of Rs 6.49 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The petrol car will cost Rs 6.49 lakh for the E variant; Rs 7.50 lakh for S variant and Rs 8.76 lakh for the V variant.
5) World Bank President Jim Yong Kim meets PM Narendra Modi: The President of the World Bank, Dr. Jim Yong Kim, called on the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi in New Delhi on Wednesday. The Prime Minister described the meeting as "very fruitful." "We discussed several ways of working together in the times to come," he said. In a series of tweets, the Prime Minister said: "We talked about the importance of scale and the need to work on a scale that inspires people and positively transforms their lives. We live in a world where speed matters. Quick execution is essential. Speeding up World Bank projects will surely increase the impact."
6) Cabinet clears 49% FDI in insurance with Indian control: The Modi Government set the ball rolling on its first major economic reform on Thursday. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the raising of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) cap in insurance from 26 percent to 49 percent through the Foreign Investment Promotion Board route. The government will now bring a Bill before Parliament in the current session as the Bill for the same proposal the UPA Government had mooted lapsed after the last Lok Sabha's dissolution.
7) Ram Naik Sworn-In as Uttar Pradesh Governor: Senior BJP leader and former Union Minister Ram Naik was on 22 July 2014 sworn-in as the 27th Governor of Uttar Pradesh at a ceremony held in Raj Bhawan in Lucknow. 80-year-old Mr Naik was administered oath of office by Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court Justice Dhananjaya Y Chandrachud this evening. Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, several ministers, lawmakers, senior bureaucrats and senior officers from the police department were present on the occasion.