1) Aircel launched 4G services in four circles: Aircel has launched 4G services across four circles — Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar and Odisha – making it the second operator to launch the services in the country. With this launch, Aircel now offers services under all the three existing telecom technologies (2G, 3G and 4G LTE). This launch makes Aircel the second operator to launch 4G services. Bharti Airtel, the country’s largest mobile operator by subscribers and revenue, had earlier launched the services across Kolkata, Bangalore, Pune and Chandigarh. The New Delhi-based company is also gearing up to launch 4G services in Gurgaon. Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd, wireless arm of India’s largest private sector company Reliance Industries, is also readying to launch 4G services in phased manner, starting 2015.
2) Rahul Dravid Joined Steve Waugh, Ian Botham in Laureus World Sports Academy: Former India cricket captain Rahul Dravid has been elected as the newest member of Laureus World Sports Academy, becoming the 47th member of the panel. Dravid, the fourth-highest run scorer in Test cricket, was at a school on Wednesday in London's East End, meeting young coaches who have been trained with support from the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. Dravid said: "It is a great privilege to be invited to join the Academy and I look forward to supporting the work of the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. I am truly honoured to be recognised alongside some of the greatest sportsmen and women we have ever seen.
3) Bashar al-Assad sworn in for a third term as Syrian president: President Bashar al-Assad has been sworn in for a new seven-year term, after his victory in last month's election that affirmed his grip on power more than three years into Syria's civil war. Dismissed as a sham by Mr Assad's opponents, the vote was held in June in areas of central and northern Syria that remain under state control. Large areas of Syria have fallen to an insurgency dominated by Islamists, including a powerful al Qaeda offshoot known as the Islamic State that has also seized swathes of Iraq.
4) 7th BRICS Summit to be held in Russian city of Ufa: 7th BRICS Summit will be held in Russian city of Ufa in 2015. The announcement was made in Fortaleza Declaration on 16 July 2014 on the sidelines of 6th BRICS Summit in Fortaleza, Brazil. Ufa is the capital city of the Republic of Bashkortostan, Russia, and the industrial, economic, scientific and cultural centre of the republic. Brazil, India, China and South Africa conveyed their appreciation to Russia for its offer to host the Seventh BRICS Summit in 2015 in the city of Ufa and extend their full support to that end.
5) Ashok takes charge as IOC chief: Indian Oil Corporation has confirmed the appointment of B Ashok as Chairman effective July 16. Ashok was previously Executive Director (Retail Sales) and Executive Director in the Corporate Office at New Delhi. Ashok’s appointment had been chosen as the successor by the former UPA-led Government but the formalisation of his appointment took time as after the formation of the new Government, the Prime Minister’s Office had sought fresh views from the Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry.
6) Om Prakash Kohli sworn in as Gujarat Governor: Om Prakash Kohli was sworn in as Gujarat Governor at a function in Gandhinagar on Wednesday. Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court Bhaskar Bhattacharya administered the oath of office and secrecy to Mr. Kohli. Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel, Vidhan Sabha Speaker Vajubhai Vala and Ministers of the State Cabinet were present. Mr. Kohli, a former Rajya Sabha member, is a veteran leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as well as an academic.