1) Google Maps now available in Hindi: Search giant Google on Tuesday launched its Google Maps in Hindi seeking to make its navigation service more useful for users locally. Google Maps in Hindi will be available for desktop and android mobile phone users, who will be able to see Hindi names for cities, localities, important roads and routes as well as popular points of interest such as public parks and schools.
2) Six entities get permission to start airline operations: The Civil Aviation Ministry has issued No Objection Certificates (NOCs) to six entities whose applications to start airlines in India were pending for long. These six — Air One, Premier Air, Zexus Air (all national), Turbo Megha, Air Carnival and Zav Airways (all regional) — are in addition to the Tata-Singapore Airlines joint venture that is likely to start operations by this year-end. The grant of NOC was confirmed by officials but Director-General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) Prabhat Kumar was not available for comment. Another new airline, AirAsia India, commenced domestic operations last month. Air Pegasus is also likely to get Air Operators Permit, the final nod to start operations, soon.
3) James Rodriguez volley vs. Uruguay voted best goal of World Cup: James Rodriguez's first strike in Colombia's 2-0 World Cup win over Uruguay has been voted goal of the tournament, ahead of Robin van Persie's headed equalizer for the Netherlands in its 5-1 win over Spain. The Monaco star — who is expected to complete his 88 million-euro move to Real Madrid this week — controlled a looped header from Juan Cuadrado with his chest before turning and volleying home via the underside of the crossbar from 20 yards out to give Jose Pekerman's men the lead after 28 minutes of play.
4) Carlos Dunga appointed Brazil coach: Dunga has been appointed as the new coach of Brazil in what will be his second stint with the national team. The 1994 winning captain has already had a four year stint as Brazil’s coach, which came to an end after Brazil was eliminated at the quarterfinal stage of 2010 World Cup. Luiz Felipe Scolari was earlier sacked after Brazil faced a humiliating 7-1 defeat against Germany in semi-finals of the World Cup in Brazil. After being appointed, the former Brazilian defensive midfielder said, “I am immensely happy – thank you for your confidence in me.” Dunga has an uphill task to recover from Brazil’s World Cup defeat on home soil but feels he is ready for the challenge.
5) Jokowi wins Indonesian presidential election with 53%: Indonesia's Election Commission (KPU) declared Jakarta governor Joko Widodo as the winner of the July 9 presidential election, with 53.15 per cent of the vote to his rival Prabowo Subianto's 46.85 per cent. Mr Joko got 70.6 million votes, a clear 8.3 million more than Mr Prabowo's 62.3 million, according to official results that confirm what eight reputable polling agencies had projected hours after polls closed two weeks ago.
6) Sania Mirza Appointed Brand Ambassador of Telangana: Indian tennis star Sania Mirza was on Tuesday appointed 'Brand Ambassador' of Telangana. She will promote the new "state's interests" in India and abroad, according to industrial infrastructure corporation managing director Jayesh Rajan. Chief minister K Chandrasekhar Rao handed over a letter of appointment and also a cheque of Rs one crore to 27-year-old Sania at an interaction session with industrialists here.