June 2014- Third Week
Download as PDF- Click Here
1) Which country won the 2014 edition of Men’s Hockey World Cup for second successive time on 15 June 2014?
Note: Australia won against the Netherlands with 6-1 in the final held at Kyocera Stadium in The Hague, Netherlands.
2) Which country won the 2014 edition of Women’s Hockey World Cup held in The Hague, Netherlands on 14 June 2014?
Note: They defeated Australia 2-0 in the final. This is Netherlands seventh title. It previously won the titles in 1974, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1990 and 2006.
3) Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi made his first foreign tour to which country on 15 June 2014 to 16 June 2014?
Note: He was accompanied by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh. A grand welcome was accorded by Bhutanese King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk and Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay.
4) Name the India-born Mexican plant scientist who was honoured with the World Food Prize for the year 2014?
Ans. Sanjaya Rajaram
Note: The prize was established in 1986 by Dr. Norman Borlaug to focus the world’s attention on hunger and on those whose work has significantly helped efforts to end the hunger. The award will be presented to Rajaram in Des Moines, Iowa in October 2014.
5) Name the Booker Prize winning author who was on 20 June 2014 named as the winner of 2014 Pen Pinter Prize?
Ans. Salman Rushdie
Note: The Pen Printer Prize is an annual literary award was established in 2009 by writers’ charity English Pen. It was formed in memory of famous British playwright and Nobel laureate Harold Pinter.
6) Who was chosen for the prestigious Jnanpith award for 2013 on 20 June 2014?
Ans. Kedarnath Singh
Note: He is noted Hindi poet. He is the 10th Hindi writer to receive the honour and is the 49th recipient of Jnanpith award.
7) Union Government on 19 June 2014 reconstituted six important Cabinet Committees of these ....... will be headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi?
Note: Remaining two will be headed by Home Minister Rajnath Singh. The six Cabinet Committees include Security, Political Affairs, Parliamentary Affairs, Economic Affairs, Accommodation and Appointments.
8) Indian Railways on 20 June 2014 increased the passenger fare by ...... percent in all classes and freight charges by ....... percent respectively?
Ans. 14.2% and 6.5%
9) Name the left-arm Indian spinner who on 14 June 2014 announced his retirement from all forms of cricket?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Murali Kartik
10) Which city became first kerosene-free city in India on 16 June 2014?
Note: This was achieved after implementation of the Delhi: A Kerosene-Free Scheme launched in 2012 under which no subsidized kerosene were being issued in Delhi.
11) BL Joshi who resigned from his post on 17 June 2014 was the governor of?
Ans. Uttar Pradesh
12) India’s first One Stop Crisis Centre (OSCC) named Gauravi was launched in which city on 16 June 2014?
Ans. Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
Note: It was launched by the Bollywood actor Amir Khan. The centre is first of its kind in India for women who are victims of violence. It will provide help and assistance to rape survivors and victims of dowry harassment, domestic violence and other atrocities on women, all under one roof.
13) Which city in India recorded the highest consumption of cigarettes in India as revealed by the ICICI Lombard Tobacco Consumption Habits 2014 survey released on 12 June 2014?
14) Which state on 17 June 2013 approved setting up of 500 water ATMs?
Note: These ATMs will provide citizens with an easily accessible, demand based and affordable supply system. These ATMs will also supplement water supply, particularly in areas that faces crisis.
15) Name the Governor of Chhattisgarh who resigned on 18 June 2014?
Ans. Shekhar Dutt
16) Name the former Captain of Bangladesh who was on 18 June 2014 banned for eight years by the disciplinary panel set up by the Bangladesh Cricket Board?
Ans. Mohammad Ashraful
Note: He was found guilty on four charges of fixing matches in Bangladesh Premier League of 2013.
17) Who was appointed as Private Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 18 June 2014?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Rajeev Topno
18) Indian cricket team on 19 June 2014 won the three One Day International (ODI) series against Bangladesh 2-0. Who was the captain of Indian team in the tournament?
Ans. Suresh Raina
Note: Stuart Binny of India was declared Man of the Series. Main highlight of the series was Stuart Binny taking six wickets for four runs in the second ODI, which is best bowling figures by any Indian in ODIs overtaking Anil Kumble who took 6 wickets for 12 against the West Indies in 1993 in Kolkata.
19) Who was elected as the first Assembly speaker of Andhra Pradesh after bifurcation on 20 June 2014?
Ans. Kodela Siva Prasada Rao
20) Name the world number one chess player who was on 18 June 2014 bagged the FIDE World Rapid Chess Championship title in Dubai?
Ans. Magnus Carlsen
21) Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on 15 June 2014 launched first Roof Top Solar Power Plant at ............ metro station in its attempt to conserve environment?
Ans. Dwarka Sec21
22) Who was appointed as the new Revenue Secretary on 14 June 2014?
Ans. Shaktikanta Das
23) Which company became the first real estate developer in the country to receive ISO Quality Certification on 16 June 2014?
Ans. DLF Home Developers Ltd
24) India won 12 medals overall to finish 5th in final medal tally at the 16th Asian Junior Athletics Championship held from 12 June to 15 June 2014 at?
Ans. Taipei City, China
25) Union Cabinet on 17 June 2014 appointed whom as arbitrator in Vodafone tax disputes case?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. R C Lahoti, the Ex-Chief Justice of India (CJI)
26) Who became the first woman to be appointed on the board of the Reliance Industries on 18 June 2014?
Ans. Nita Ambani
27) Union Cabinet on 18 June 2014 approved constitution of a three-member Supervisory Committee to look into issues of safety & restoration of which Dam?
Ans. Mullaperiyar Dam
28) Name the Taiwanese poet who translated 1330 couplets of Tirukkural (one of the collection of sangam literature) and the poems of poet Subramanya Bharathi in Mandarin recently?
29) Who was re-elected as the President of Colombia on 15 June 2014?
Ans. Juan Manuel Santos
30) Name the Indian origin physicist Tejinder Virdee who was on 14 June 2014 honoured with knighthood Bachelor by Queen Elizabeth II for his work on the Higgs Boson theory?
Ans. Tejinder Virdee
31) World Day to Combat Desertification (WDCD) was observed across the world on 17 June 2014 with the theme?
Ans. Land Belongs to the Future - Let’s Climate Proof It.
32) Name the surface-to-air missile test-fired by Indian Army on 18 June 2014?
Ans. Akash missile
33) Who was awarded with the first Tang Prize in sustainable development by the Tang Prize Foundation on 18 June 2014?
Ans. Gro Harlem Brundtland
Note: Samuel Yin established the Tang Prize in December 2012. She is a former Prime Minister of Norway and was awarded the prize for her innovation, leadership and implementation of sustainable development.