Current Affairs PDF
July 2014- Third Week
Download as PDF- Click Here
1) Which country won the 2014 FIFA Football World Cup beating Argentina 1-0 in the final held at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on 13 July 2014?
Note: Single goal of the match was scored by Mario Gotze during the extra-time.
The following were the awards of the tournament:
Golden Ball - Lionel Messi of Argentina
Golden Boot - James Rodriguez of Colombia
Golden Glove - Manuel Neuer of Germany
Best Young Player - Paul Pogba of France
FIFA Fair Play Trophy - Colombia
Read questions on FIFA WC 2014: http://goo.gl/97MZfe
2) Air India on 11 July 2014 formally joined the airline group Star Alliance as it’s .....th member?
Note: By formally joining the group, public carrier became the first Indian airline to become a member airlines club operating over 18500 flights a day in 192 countries. The Star Alliance is the world's largest global airline alliance, headquartered in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, and led by current CEO Mark Schwab.
3) Name the former captain of Sri Lankan cricket team who announced his retirement from Test cricket on 14 July 2014?
Ans. Mahela Jayawardene
Note: Jayawardene played his Test debut against India in 1997. So far he has played 145 Tests scoring 11493 runs with 33 centuries and 48 fifties.
4) Name the governors of 05 states viz. Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Gujarat and Nagaland appointed by President of India, Pranab Mukherjee on 14 July 2014?
Uttar Pradesh: Ram Naik
Chhattisgarh: Balramji Dass Tandon
West Bengal: Keshari Nath Tripathi
Gujarat: Om Prakash Kohli
Nagaland: Padmanabha Balakrishna Acharya
5) Name the noted environmentalist and social activist who on 15 July 2014 was awarded with the prestigious Gandhi Peace prize for 2013?
Ans. Chandi Prasad Bhatt
Note: He was awarded the prize by the President of India Pranab Mukherjee at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
6) BRICS Summit 2014 was held from 15 July to 16 July 2014 at?
Ans. Fortaleza, Brazil
Note: BRICS group includes Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
7) BRICS nations on 15 July 2014 signed a deal to create a new 100 billion US dollar development bank and emergency reserve fund. Where will be the headquarters of the proposed bank?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Shanghai, China
8) The 127th edition of the Durand Cup Football Tournament will be held in which state from 28th October 2014 to 9th November 2014?
Note: This was revealed by a Defence press release from Mumbai on 15 July 2014. Durand Cup is the Asia’s oldest and third oldest football tournament in the world. It was first played in 1888.
9) Which Indian cricket legend was on 16 July 2014 elected as the member of Laureus World Sports Academy?
Ans. Rahul Dravid
Note: Laureus World Sports Academy is a unique association of 47 of the greatest living sporting legends from sports as diverse as football, tennis, athletics, skateboarding and motor racing.
10) 7th BRICS Summit will be held at which place in 2015?
Ans. Russian city of Ufa
11) 6th BRICS Summit was held in Fortaleza, Brazil on 15 July and 16 July 2014. What was the theme of the Summit?
Ans. Inclusive Growth: Sustainable Solutions
12) The 7th India-Brazil-South Africa (IBSA) summit will be held at which country in 2015?
Ans. New Delhi, India
13) Name the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane which was shot down over war-torn eastern Ukraine near the Russian border on 17 July 2014?
Note: MH-17 was flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur carrying 283 passengers and 15 crew members.
14) Which country was ranked number One in the latest FIFA's world rankings released on 17 July 2014?
Note: Germany led by Philipp Lahm reclaimed the top spot after a gap of 20 years after it won the 2014 FIFA Football World Cup held in Brazil.
15) Which country on 18 July 2014 passed a law to legalise child labour for kids from age 10?
16) Name the captain of Germany’s football team who announced his retirement from international game on 18 July 2014?
Ans. Philipp Lahm
17) Recently who became the first basketball player of Indian origin to join the National Basketball Association (NBA)?
Ans. Sim Bhullar
Note: He signed a summer contract in second week of July 2014 with the Sacramento Kings, a professional basketball team in the US.
18) Name India's first indigenous anti-submarine warship (ASW) which was handed over to the Indian Navy by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) in Kolkata on 12 July 2014?
Ans. Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kamorta
Note: It is the first warship ever built in the country with almost 90 per cent of indigenous content.
19) Name the football coach of Brazil who on 14 July 2014 resigned after poor show by Brazil in the 2014 FIFA World Cup?
Ans. Luiz Felipe Scolari
20) Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi met Chinese President ....... in Fortaleza, Brazil on 15 July 2014 during BRICS Summit 2014?
Ans. Xi Jinping
21) Union Ministry of Chemical and Fertilisers decided on 14 July 2014 to set up National Centre for Research & Development in Bulk Drugs (NCRDBD) at which place?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Note: It will be situated at National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Hyderabad.
22) Union Government of India recently enhanced the per student cooking cost under the Mid Day Meal Scheme (MDMS). In which year MDMS was launched as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme?
Ans. 15 August 1995
23) Who was sworn in as Syria’s President in Damascus for a seven-year term on 16 July 2014?
Ans. Bashar al-Assad
24) Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi met Russian President ____ in Fortaleza, Brazil on 15 July 2014 during BRICS Summit 2014?
Ans. Vladimir Putin
25) Name the South African Nobel Prize-winning author who died on 14 July 2014 in Johannesburg at the age of 90?
Ans. Nadine Gordimer
Note: She was the first South African to win the Nobel prize in literature.
26) Who took charge as Chairman of Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) on 16 July 2014?
Ans. B Ashok
27) Which country topped the Global Innovation Index 2014 (GII) which was released at the B20 Australia Summit held in Sydney on 18 July 2014?
28) Name the Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare who on 17 July 2014 released the National Health Profile 2013?
Ans. Dr. Harsh Vardhan
29) Business 20 (B20) Australia Summit was held in which city on 18 July 2014?
Ans. Sydney, Australia
30) Veteran Indian film actress, Suchitra Sen’s ancestral home in Pabna district of which country will be converted into a museum?
31) Name the Typhoon which smashed large parts of the Philippines on 15 July 2014?
Ans. Typhoon Rammasun
32) Name the founder of Satyam Computers who was barred on 15 July 2014 by Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) from accessing the capital markets for 14 years?
Ans. B Ramalinga Raju
33) Which state government on 14 July 2014 decided to set up 320 Mahila Suraksha Dals (MSDs) across the state?
Note: It will ensure women safety at public places.
34) Name the world-renowned American conductor of classical music, violinist and composer who died on 13 July 2014?
Ans. Lorin Varencove Maazel
35) Which state recently decided to implement National Food Security Act from 1 September 2014?
36) Retail inflation fell to a 30-month low of ..... percent in June 2014 from 8.28 pecent in May 2014?
37) Which Indian Naval warship was damaged in a mishap on 13 July 2014?
Ans. INS Kuthar
Note: This was the 15th such incident after INS Sindhurakshak sank on 14 August 2013.
Read questions on Union Budget 2014-15
1. Part 1>> http://goo.gl/QfTgRs
2. Part 2>> http://goo.gl/o78MuH
3. Part 3>> http://goo.gl/OEMyJy