1) Prime Minister Dedicates Udhampur - Katra New Railway Line to the Nation: The Prime Minister Shri Narender Modi on 4 July 2014 dedicated to the nation the newly constructed railway line between Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra and Udhampur in the state of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
Shri Modi also flagged off first train –a DMU – from newly constructed Shri Mata Vaishnodevi Katra Railway Station at a programme held at Katra, The Guests of Honour present at the function included Shri N. N. Vohra, Governor of J&K and Shri Omar Abdullah, Chief Minister of J&K. The function was presided over by Shri D.V. Sadananda Gowda, Minister of Railways.
2) Ram Naresh Yadav sworn-in as Chhattisgarh Governor: Ram Naresh Yadav was sworn-in as the Governor of Chhattisgarh following the resignation of Shekhar Dutt. He is presently the Madhya Pradesh Governor and has been given the additional charge of Chhattisgarh. Chief Justice Yatindra Singh of Bilaspur High Court administered the oath of office to Yadav in a function organized at Raj Bhawan.
3) Mumbai's iconic Express Towers sold for Rs 870 crore: The landmark Express Towers building in Nariman Point, once the tallest building in South Asia, has been sold for close to Rs. 870 crore. Anant Goenka, director of the Indian Express , the newspaper group that owned the South Mumbai building along with ICICI Ventures, confirmed the sale.
4) FIFA 2014- Germany becomes first team to reach four semi-finals in a row: Germany held on to defeat France by a 1-0 margin in the first quarter final match on 4 July 2014. The lone goal came in the 13th minute of the game off a set piece. A kick from Toni Kroos curled towards the back post and found defender Mats Hummels. It is a big achievement and is the fourth consecutive semifinals berth for the German team, a new World Cup record. Unfortunately they haven’t won a World Cup in that stretch. They will now meet host Brazil in the semi final match. Brazil has defeated Colombia in the second quarter final match to advance to the semi. Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
5) Federer and Djokovic to meet in Wimbledon final: Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic will meet for the Wimbledon title after the old guard held off the new in the semifinals Friday at the All England Club.
6) PM Narendra Modi inaugurated Uri hydroelectric project: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 4 July 2014 inaugurated the 240-Megawatt Uri-II Hydro Electric Project (HEP) located near the Line of Control in Baramulla district of Kashmir. The Prime Minister dedicated the power project to the nation in presence of Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and top officials of National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC).
7) ICAI to launch TV channel on Aug 15: The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) will use the DTH platform of the Ministry of Human Resource Development to launch its TV channel on August 15. ICAI President K. Raghu said the proposed move would benefit nearly 8.3 lakh students pursuing the chartered accountancy course besides commerce students. It would be a free channel.