Current Affairs PDF
May 2014- Third Week
Download as PDF- Click Here
1) Who was appointed as the new Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of India on 22 May 2014?
Ans. Rajiv Mathur
Note: He is the former Intelligence Bureau Chief. Mathur succeeded Sushma Singh who demitted the post of CIC on 21 May 2014. She was the fifth CIC of the Central Information Commission.
2) Who has was sworn-in as the first woman Chief Minister of Gujarat on 22 May 2014?
Ans. Anandiben Patel
Note: She became CM after Narendra Modi resigned the Post of Gujarat CM to become the Prime Minister of India.
3) Who has sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Odisha for fourth consecutive term on 21 May 2014?
Ans. Naveen Patnaik
Note: Governor S C Jamir administered oath of office and secrecy to Naveen Patnaik and 21 other ministers.
4) Who has sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Sikkim on 21 May 2014 for a record fifth consecutive time?
Ans. Pawan Chamling
Note: Governor of Sikkim, Shriniwas Patil administered the oath of office and secrecy to Chamling and his 11 ministers at Raj Bhawan in Gangtok.
5) Who has sworn-in as the new Chief Minister of Bihar on 20 May 2014?
Ans. Jitan Ram Manjhi
Note: His oath of the office and secrecy was administered by the Governor of Bihar, DY Patil at the Raj Bhavan in Patna. He succeeded Janata Dal – United (JD-U) leader, Nitish Kumar who resigned from the post of Chief Minister on 17 May 2014 after the debacle of the party in the 16th Lok Sabha election.
6) Who has sworn-in as the eighth Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh at the Raj Bhavan in Itanagar on 18 May 2014?
Ans. Nabam Tuki
7) 16th Lok Sabha Election 2014 results were declared on 16 May 2014 for which elections were conducted in 543 constituencies across India in April-May 2014. What is the number of seats obtained by each party?
Bharatiya Janata Party: 282
Indian National Congress: 44
All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam: 37
All India Trinamool Congress: 34
Biju Janata Dal: 20
Communist Party of India (Marxist): 9
Nationalist Congress Party: 6
Samajwadi Party: 5
Aam Aadmi Party: 4
8) Name the project under Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) on 21 May 2014 won second rank in the 2014 United Nations Public Service Award?Prepared by:www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Mobile Seva Project
9) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 21 May 2014 directed all banks to install disabled friendly new Automated Teller Machines (ATMs). It also directed that all the new ATMs that are installed after which date needs to provide audible instructions and Braille keypads to customers?
Ans. 1 July 2014
10) Who was appointed as new Director General of Police of Jammu and Kashmir on 21 May 2014?
Ans. K Rajendra Kumar
11) Who was selected as Managing Director of ONGC Videsh Ltd (OVL) by Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) on 21 May 2014?
Ans. Narendra Kumar Verma
12) Narendra Modi on 21 May 2014 resigned as the Gujarat Chief Minister to take over as the Prime Minister of India. He served as the CM of Gujarat for a continous period of?
Ans. Nearly 14 years. From 7 October 2001 to 21 May 2014.
13) Which constituency in India registered the highest voter turnout in the General Election 2014?
Ans. Dhubri Parliamentary constituency in Assam
Note: Dhubri constituency registered a voter turnout of 88.22 percent
14) Which constituency in India registered the lowest voter turnout in the General Election 2014?
Note: It registered a voter turnout of only 25.86 percent.
15) Name the Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission of India who resigned from his office on 17 May 2014?
Ans. Montek Singh Ahluwalia
16) Which country honoured 100 years of Indian cinema by releasing two postage stamps in May 2014?Prepared by:www.currentaffairs4examz.com
17) Name the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council (PMEAC) Chairman who resigned on 19 May 2014?
Ans. C Rangarajan
18) Who won the men's Italian Tennis Open 2014 held in Rome, Italy on 18 May 2014?
Ans. Novak Djokovic
19) Who won the Women's Italian Tennis Open 2014 on 18 May 2014?
Ans. Serena Williams
20) President of India, Pranab Mukherjee dissolved the 15th Lok Sabha on?
Ans. 18 May 2014
21) World Turtle Day 2014 was observed across the world on?
Ans. 23 May 2014
22) Indian Navy (IN) and Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) on 22 May 2014 started the 2014 edition of annual bilateral naval exercises named?
Ans. SIMBEX 14
23) Palaeontologists on 16 May 2014 discovered the fossil of the world largest dinosaur fossils in which country?
24) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 21 May 2014 eased the gold import norms under which scheme?Prepared by:www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. 20: 80 Scheme
Note: Under the 20:80 Scheme, an importer has to ensure that at least 20 percent of every lot of imported gold is exclusively made available for exports as finished good and the balance for domestic use.
25) Name the veteran nuclear scientist and Padma Bhushan recipient who died on 18 May 2014?
Ans. N Srinivasan
26) International Museum Day was celebrated across the world on?
Ans. 18 May 2014
27) Which country on 22 May 2014 suspended its 12th national bull fight festival after matadors got injured by bulls?
28) Name India's distance runner who on 22 May 2014 bagged Silver Medal in boys’ 3000 meter race in the 2014 Youth Olympics Games Qualification event for Asia region?
Ans. Kisan Tadvi
29) International Day for Biological Diversity 2014 was observed across the world on?
Ans. 22 May 2014
Note: The day was celebrated with the aim of spreading awareness on biodiversity and the importance of preserving it in villages and islands.
30) Name the Indian-American student who won the National Geographic Bee championship in Washington, USA on 21 May 2014?
Ans. Akhil Rekulapelli
31) Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) government on 21 May 2014 scrapped the New Recruitment Policy, 2011. What was the highlight of this policy?
Ans. Under the policy for non-gazetted posts, the appointees were paid a stipend instead of salary for the first five years.
32) Former President APJ Abdul Kalam was awarded with honorary degree by which foreign University in May 2014?
Ans. Edinburgh University in Scotland
33) How many medals India won at the Archery World Cup Stage 2 held at Medellin, US?
Ans. Two medals. One Silver and one Bronze medal.
Note: Friends..We know many competitive exams are fast approaching and we will update the remaining missed current affairs of April & May Soon. Keep visiting. Thank you for your support.