1) Luis Suarez suspended for nine matches and banned for four months from any football-related activity: Fifa on 26 June 2014 banned Uruguay striker Luis Suarez for nine international matches and barred him from all football activities for four months for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's match against Italy in the group stage of FIFA World Cup 2014. The heaviest punishment ever inflicted on a player at a World Cup finals effectively booted Suarez out of the tournament. It is the third time that the 27-year-old Liverpool forward, one of the most brilliant footballers in the world, but also one of the most temperamental, has been banned for biting an opponent.
2) Bangladesh's Mustafa Kamal becomes ICC President: Bangladesh's Mustafa Kamal became the 11th President of the International Cricket Council (ICC) on 26 June 2014. Kamal took charge from Alan Isaac at the ICC's Annual Conference.
3) Srinivasan appointed as new ICC chairman: N Srinivasan was formally appointed chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in Melbourne on 26 June 2014, giving the 69-year-old industrialist the most powerful role in the governing body's restructured organisation. Srinivasan, who emerged as the leading candidate to become ICC chairman in February, will assume office immediately after the governing body rubber-stamped constitutional changes at its annual conference.
4) 35th National Games in Kerala from Jan 31-Feb 14 next year: The 35th edition of the National Games will be held in Kerala from January 31 to February 14 next year in various venues across seven districts. Starting the countdown, dates of the biggest national sporting event were announced by Indian Olympic Association president N Ramachandran in the presence of Union Minister of state for Sports and Youth Affairs Sarbananda Sonowal at a colourful function in the Assembly complex on 26 June 2014. After the declaration, Sonowal proclaimed acceptance of the dates on behalf of the Government of India.
5) Ministry approved B Ashok as Indian Oil Chairman: Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has approved appointment of B Ashok as the head of India's largest oil firm, Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), in what will be the first top level appointment by the new government. B Ashok, Executive Director (Retail Sales) at Indian Oil Corp (IOC), was on October 9, 2013, chosen to head the company by government headhunters Public Enterprise Selection Board (PESB), but the previous UPA government could not appoint him before its tenure ended.
6) Indian-origin judge takes over as Singapore attorney general: Indian-origin judge Justice V.K. Rajah has been appointed as the new attorney general of Singapore, a statement issued by Istana or Presidential Palace said. President Tony Tan Keng Yam appointed Justice Rajah as the eighth attorney general and also as Member of the Presidential Council for Minority Rights, Channel NewsAsia Singapore reported. Rajah was appointed as a judicial commissioner of the Supreme Court and as a judge in 2004. He has been the chairman of the Singapore Institute of Legal Education as well as the Board of Judicial Learning since 2010. Rajah became the second Indian-origin person to become the attorney general of Singapore after Sundaresh Menon, the current Chief Justice of Singapore.