1) Reuven Rivlin is elected Israel's 10th president: MK Reuven Rivlin was elected Israel's 10th president on Tuesday, receiving the support of 63 Knesset members in a runoff vote against MK Meir Sheetrit. Rivlin will be ceremoniously sworn in as first citizen of Israel on July 24, 2014, replacing outgoing President Shimon Peres.
2) P.K Mishra appointed Additional Principal Secretary to Modi: Former Agriculture Secretary, P K Mishra has been appointed Additional Principal Secretary to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The appointment of Mishra, a 1972-batch retired IAS officer of Gujarat cadre, will be co-terminus with the term of the Prime Minister or till further orders, according to an official release issued by the Ministry of Personnel on Monday. 65-year-old Mishra had served between 2001 and 2004 as Principal Secretary to Modi when he was Gujarat Chief Minister. He was Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture between December 1, 2006 and August 31, 2008.
3) Indian film industry's iconic personalities get together to launch Dilip Kumar's autobiography: The stage glittered as Hindi cinema icons like Amitabh Bachchan, Dharmendra and Aamir Khan, along with veteran actress Saira Banu and author Udaya Tara Nayar, launched thespian Dilip Kumar's long-awaited autobiography "The Substance and The Shadow" in his presence in Mumbai on Monday evening.
4) PM Modi scraps 4 Cabinet Committees: In the second major decision to end the UPA government's legacy, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday scrapped four Cabinet committees, including one on Unique Identification Authority (UIDAI), as part of his efforts to minimise decision-making processes. The other committees disbanded were the Cabinet Committee on Prices, the Cabinet Committee on Management of Natural Calamities and the Cabinet Committee on World Trade Organisation Matters, an official statement said.
5) Gopinath Munde's death: Govt to order CBI probe: The Union home ministry has decided to recommend a CBI probe into the fatal accident of Union rural development minister Gopinath Munde in New Delhi last week. This follows a demand by the Maharashtra unit of the BJP seeking a Central probe into allegations suggesting a possible conspiracy angle to the tragedy. Munde was killed in a collision with a Tata Indica car while on the way to the Indira Gandhi International airport on the morning of June 3. Though the driver of the Indica car was arrested, he was later released on bail.
6) Argentina men create history, enter maiden World Cup semifinal: Argentina made their maiden appearance in the men's hockey World Cup semifinals after posting a comprehensive 5-1 victory over South Africa at the Kyocera Stadium on Tuesday. Argentina's victory, their fourth in five outings, gives them 12 points and ousts Olympic champions Germany from the semifinal race. This is only the second time in World Cup history that the Germans have not advanced to the semifinals. The only previous occasion was in the inaugural World Cup in 1971 when Kenya made the semifinals at the expense of West Germany. Argentina's previous best finish in the men's World Cup was sixth position they secured in the 1986 and 2002 World Cups.
7) Reliance Jio appoints former BlackBerry India head Sunil Dutt as president: elecom operator Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd has appointed Sunil Dutt, former India head for BlackBerry Ltd, as president. Dutt has over 30 years of experience in the technology industry. Before serving as BlackBerry India managing director, Dutt was country head for Samsung India Electronics Ltd when the Korean company witnessed growth in its mobile devices business. Samsung’s “Next is What” campaign was launched during Dutt’s tenure.