1) Shaktikanta Das appointed as Revenue Secretary: In a first major bureaucratic reshuffle, the Modi Government has appointed Shaktikanta Das as the new Revenue Secretary. He will replace Rajiv Takru, who has been moved to the Department of North Eastern Region (DONER). Das, a 1980 batch IAS officer of Tamil Nadu cadre, is coming back to the North Block almost a month before the presentation of full budget for 2014-15. He was in the Finance Ministry for five years before moving to the Chemicals & Fertiliser Ministry as Fertiliser Secretary on December 30 last year. He has a deep experience in budget making as he was Joint Secretary in the Budget Division under the Department of Economic Affairs. He is expected to take charge on Monday.
2) Netherlands Win Seventh Women's Hockey World Cup Title: Olympic gold medallists The Netherlands defeated Australia 2-0 in the title showdown to clinch the women's hockey World Cup at the Kyocera Stadium, Hague on Saturday. This was the fourth time these two nations met in the women's World Cup title encounter, and The Netherlands have won three of them. Out of 13 women's World Cups since its inception in 1974, the Dutch have won it seven times.
3) Murali Kartik retired from all forms of cricket: Former India left-arm spinner Murali Kartik announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. The 37-year-old Kartik decided to call it quits from cricket with immediate effect, on Saturday. Kartik was part of the Kings XI Punjab team in the recently concluded seventh edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL 7). He played his last competitive match, in IPL 7, against Chennai Super Kings on May 7, 2014. He also played for Kolkata Knight Riders, Pune Warriors and Royal Challengers Bangalore.
4) Angelina Jolie made honorary dame by the Queen: Actor Angelina Jolie has been named an honorary dame in the Queen’s birthday honours this year. She was granted this distinction in recognition of her work in highlighting sexual violence in conflict. Ms. Jolie, who is also the United Nation’s Special Envoy for Refugees, has spent the last few days in London co-chairing the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict with Foreign Secretary William Hague.
5) Alexander Stubb to become Finland's next prime minister: Finland's ruling conservative party elected EU affairs minister Alexander Stubb as its new leader on Saturday, putting him on track to take over as the country's prime minister after incumbent Jyrki Katainen steps down later this month. Stubb, 46, won about 60 percent of delegates' votes at a congress of their centre-right National Coalition party, beating Paula Risikko, the minister for health and social services, in a run-off.
6) Lord Swaraj Paul Honoured With 'Lifetime Achievement Award': Leading NRI industrialist Lord Swraj Paul has been honoured with the 'Lifetime Achievement Award' by a UK-based business association for his outstanding contribution to the industry, education and philanthropy. Lord Paul's daughter Anjali received the award at the Black Country Asian Business Association's annual awards in West Midlands as he was on a business trip to the US.