Current Affairs PDF
May 2014- Second Week
Download as PDF- Click Here
1) Who was appointed as the 28th Chief of Army Staff (COAS) on 13 May 2014?
Ans. Lieutenant General Dalbir Singh Suhag
Note: He will assume the charge on 31 July 2014 the date on which General Bikram Singh retires. General Suhag will serve as the COAS for 29 month till 31 December 2016.
2) Hockey India (HI) honoured heroes of 1975 World Cup team on 14 May 2014. The 1975 World Cup team was felicitated on the eve of World Cup 2014. Which country is hosting Hockey World Cup 2014?
Ans. The Hague, Netherlands
3) Which Bollywood actor on 13 May 2014 became the first Indian to feature on the cover page of the business magazine Forbes Middle East?
Ans. Shah Rukh Khan
4) Who has resigned as the Chief Minister of Bihar on 17 May 2014?
Ans. Nitish Kumar
5) Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh tendered his resignation to the President of India Pranab Mukherjee on?
Ans. 17 May 2014
6) Asia's biggest milk brand Amul on 14 May 2014 announced to set up a dairy processing plant at?
7) Who was named as the batting coach of Pakistan cricket team for two years on 15 May 2014?Visit:www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Grant Flower
8) Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 15 May 2014 announced that plastic currency notes will be launched in India by which year after field trials?
Note: Modern plastic currency notes were first developed by the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA), CSIRO and The University of Melbourne to safeguard counterfeiting the currency. They were first issued as currency in Australia in 1988. In 1996 Australia switched completely to plastic currency notes.
9) Which mobile service provider announced on 14 May 2014 that it will provide free Wi-Fi in Gurgaon Rapid Metro Rail for six months?
10) Who led the Indian delegation at the 67th Cannes International Film Festival inaugurated in Cannes, France on 14 May 2014?
Ans. Kamal Haasan
11) Who was appointed as the Chairman of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal (CWDT) on 14 May 2014?
Ans. Justice BS Chauhan
12) Supreme Court Collegium on 13 May 2014 recommended the names of whom to be elevated as judges of the Supreme Court?
Ans. Gopal Subramaniam and RF Nariman
13) Pranab Mukherjee, the President of India on 12 May 2014 gave his assent to the Whistleblowers Protection Bill 2011. With this assent, the Whistleblowers Bill, 2011 became?
Ans. Whistleblowers Protection Act, 2011
14) Name the World’s first Electric plane successfully completed its first flight on 9 May 2014?
15) International Nurses Day was observed across the world on?
Ans. 12 May 2014
16) Who won Cricket Club of India (CCI) Classic Billiards and Snooker tournament on 14 May 2014?
Ans. Pankaj Advani
17) Name the founder of Leela Group of Hotels who died on 17 May 2014 in Mumbai?
Ans. Capitan Krishnan Nair
18) Supreme Court of India on 16 May 2014 appointed three-member panel headed by whom to further probe the IPL spot fixing scandal involving N Srinivasan and 12 others?Visit:www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Justice (retd) Mukul Mudgal
19) World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) was observed across the world on?
Ans. 10 – 11 May 2014
20) Which Indian – American was on 13 May 2014 confirmed by US Senate as the federal judge in Massachusetts?
Ans. Indira Talwani
21) Who recently (in May 2014) became the first-ever woman to head a UN Peacekeeping Force in its entire history?
Ans. Major General Kristin Lund of Norway
Note: United Nations Peacekeeping Force helps countries torn by conflict to create conditions for lasting peace.
22) Which team won the 20th Senior National Women’s Football Championships title at the Golaghat Stadium in Assam on 12 May 2014?
23) Who won his 27th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title at Mutua Madrid Tennis Open final on 11 May 2014?
Ans. Rafael Nadal
24) Who was appointed as the Chairman of the Central Water Commission & ex-officio Secretary of the Government of India on 15 May 2014?
Ans. Ashwin B. Pandya
25) Who was appointed as President of International Technology Law Association in May 2014?
Ans. Sajai Singh
26) Who was appointed as the new Managing Director (MD) of Volvo Buses India on 14 May 2014 by Volvo Bus Corporation?
Ans. VRV Sriprasad
27) Who won Mutua Madrid Open Tennis title in women's singles category?
Ans. Maria Sharapova