Current Affairs PDF
May 2014- Last Week
Download as PDF: Click Here
1) Who has sworn-in as the 15th Prime Minister of India on 26 May 2014?
Ans. Narendra Damodardas Modi
Note: Along with him, 45-member Council of Ministers that includes 23 Ministers with Cabinet rank, 10 Ministers of State with independent charges and 12 Ministers of State also took oath of their offices. The Prime Minister and his Council of Ministers were appointed in term of Article 75 of the Constitution of India. Read complete list of ministers and portfolios.
2) Who was appointed as the new National Security Adviser on 30 May 2014?
Ans. Ajit Doval
Note: He is the former Intelligence Bureau Chief. According to the official order, this appointment of 69-year-old Doval will be co-terminus with the term of the Prime Minister or till further orders, whichever is earlier. National Security Adviser is the person who acts as the primary advisor to the Prime Minister of India on national and international security.
3) Who was appointed as the 14th Attorney-General of India on 28 May 2014?
Ans. Mukul Rohatgi
Note: He will succeed Gulam Vahanvati. The Attorney General for India is the Indian government's chief legal advisor, and its primary lawyer in the Supreme Court of India. He is appointed by the President of India under Article 76(1) of the Constitution and holds office during the pleasure of the President.
4) Which football club won the 10th UEFA Champions League Football title?
Ans. Real Madrid
Note: They defeated its arch-rivals Atletico Madrid 4-1.
5) Who became the first woman External Affairs Minister of India on 26 May 2014?
Ans. Sushma Swaraj
6) Who became the youngest woman to climb the Mount Everest, the highest peak in the world on 25 May 2014?
Ans. Malavath Poorna
Note: She is a 13-years and 11-month old girl of Andhra Pradesh. Poorna was accompanied by Sadhanapalli Anand Kumar, a 16-year old from the same state. Anand became the first Dalit to conquer the tallest peak.
7) Prime Minister Narendra Modi was elected from two Lok Sabha constituencies in the LS elections 2014. On 29th May 2014 he has quit Vadodara constituency and will henceforth represent which constituency in the Parliament?
8) Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi held talks with Prime Minister of Pakistan in New Delhi on 27 May 2014. Who is the present PM of Pakistan?
Ans. Nawaz Sharif
9) Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) announced on 29 May 2014 to buy a majority stake of about ......... percent in Network18 Media and Investments for 4000 crore rupees?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Note: The deal will be done through the Independent Media Trust (IMT) set up by Reliance. Network18 group include moneycontrol.com, In.com, IBNLive.com, Firstpost.com, Cricketnext.in, Homeshop18.com, Bookmyshow.com while TV18 group includes CNBC-TV18, CNN-IBN, Colors, IBN7 and CNBC Awaaz.
10) Who was appointed as the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi on 28 May 2014?
Ans. Nripendra Misra
Note: He is a retired IAS officer and former Chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
11) Domestic e-retailer Flipkart on 21 May 2014 announced that it has acquired which leading fashion e-tailer and its rival for 300 million US dollar?
12) Hindustan Motors halted the production of India’s which iconic car on 25 May 2014?
Note: The Ambassador was the first car to be made in India.
13) New Union government has recently constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to unearth illicit money. Who is the chairman of the Team?
Ans. MB Shah
14) Kochi-based Indian Super League franchise, co-owned by Sachin Tendulkar and Hyderabad-based media baron Prasad V Potluri was recently named as?
Ans. Kerala Blasters Football Club.
15) Anti-Terrorism Day observed Across India on 21 May 2014. Why the day is celebrated on 21 May?
Ans. It is the Martyrdom of Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
16) Who won Monaco Grand Prix of Formula One on 25 May 2014?
Ans. Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg
Note: The Mercedes, with this win, finished at first and second position for the fifth straight time and has swept all six races this season.
17) Which eminent Hindi writer was on 29 May 2014 awarded with the prestigious Vyas Samman for the year 2013?
Ans. Vishwanath Tripathi
18) Name the hockey player who was better known as father of Malaysian hockey who died in Ipoh, Malaysia on 28 May 2014 at the age of 86?
Ans. Azlan Shah
Note: Sultan Azlan Shah Cup is also named after him.
19) Who was on 27 May 2014 selected as the goodwill ambassador of 35th National Games that is scheduled to be held in Kerala from January-February 2015?
Ans. Sachin Tendulkar
20) Name the ball to be used in 2014 FIFA World Cup to be played at Brazil from 12 June to 13 July 2014?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
21) Which Film was honoured with Palme d’Or Award at the 67th Cannes Film Festival held in Cannes from 16 May to 25 May 2014?
Ans. Winter Sleep
22) Which country won the Thomas Cup 2014 of badminton on 25 May 2014?
Note: Japan team defeated the Malaysian team 3-2 in the finals held at Siri Fort Complex in New Delhi.
23) Who has sworn-in as the new Chief Minister (CM) of Nagaland on 24 May 2014?
Ans. TR Zeliang
Note: Zeliang along with 11 Cabinet Ministers was administered the oath to the office and secrecy by the Governor Ashwani Kumar in Kohima.
24) Goa on 30 May 2014 observed Goa Day. In which year Goa became 25th State of the Indian Union?
25) Name the service launched by Google on 29 May 2014 by which Europeans can request the web pages to remove links that contains material related to their personal lives?
Ans. Right to be forgotten
Ans. Google launched the service following the direction of European Union Court of Justice of 13 May 2014 that said that irrelevant links and outdated data on search engines should be erased on request.
26) Name the new Ministry created by PM Narendra Modi on 27 May 2014 recognizing the importance of skill development in India?
Ans. Ministry of Skill development and Entrepreneurship
Note: Sarbananda Sonowal was made Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (independent charge).
27) Which state Government has decided to add a chapter on the cricket legend, Sachin Tendulkar in its school syllabus?
28) Which country won the Uber Cup 2014 of badminton on 24 May 2014?
Note: China team defeated the Japan team 3-1 in the final held at Siri Fort Complex in New Delhi.
29) Who won the Ukrainian Presidential Election held on 25 May 2014?
Ans. Petro Poroshenko
30) Which country became the top source of foreign direct investment (FDI) into India replacing Mauritius recently?
31) Indian Navy and Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) conducted annual bilateral naval exercises named .............. in Andaman Sea from 22 May to 28 May 2014?
Ans. SIMBEX 2014
32) International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers was observed on 29 May 2014. What was the theme for the day in 2014?
Ans. UN PEACEKEEPING: A Force for Peace. A Force for Change. A Force for the Future.
33) SAARC Countries Leaders visited India on 26 May 2014 for which purpose?
Ans. As a part of swearing-in ceremony of Narendra Modi.
34) Which country's currency appreciated to 11-month high to become the best performing currency in Asia-Pacific region against US dollar in 2014 recently?
35) Which country won the AFC Women's Asian Football Cup 2014 on 25 May 2014?
36) Name the President and member of the board of Infosys who resigned on 28 May 2014?Visit: www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. BG Srinivas
Note: Srinivas has served Infosys for 15-years and was appointed as the company President in January 2014 along with UB Pravin Rao.
37) Name the two Indian's who won the prestigious Scripps National Spelling Bee competition recently?
Ans. Sriram J Hathwar and Ansun Sujoe
38) Who was recently appointed as the Vice President and Auditor General of World Bank?
Ans. Hiroshi Naka
NOte: He is from Japan
39) Who has sworn-in as the new Prime Minister of Libiya on 26 May 2014?
Ans. Ahmed Maitiq
40) Which train going from Delhi to Gorakhpur rammed into a stationary goods train near Khalilabad in Uttar Pradesh on 26 May 2014 killing at least 20 people?
Ans. Gorakhdham Express