Current Affairs PDF
May 2014- First Week
Friends..Here is the Current Affairs from First Week of May 2014 which we have missed to update. Will be useful for all upcoming exams.
Download as PDF- Click Here
1) President of India on 8 May 2014 launched Indigenous Card payment System of India at Rashtrapati Bhawan in Delhi called?
Note: RuPay is the coinage of two terms Rupee and Payment. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) envisioned the need for such an indigenously managed service in 2005. National Payments Corporation of India (NPCL) developed the Rupay platform.
2) Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 6 May 2014 issued the guidelines to allow the minors of age above .......... years to independently open and operate savings bank accounts and use other facilities like ATM and cheque books?
3) Name the Indian veteran trap shooter who on 2 May 2014 jumped to the third spot in the world rankings?
Ans. Manavjit Singh Sandhu
4) World’s highest tunnel for high-speed train was opened in which country 1 May 2014?
5) Who was crowned World Snooker’s Player of the Year at the sport's annual awards ceremony in London on 8 may 2014?
Ans. Ronnie O’Sullivan
6) Name the former fast bowler of Pakistan who was on on 6 May 2014 appointed as the national coach of the national cricket team of Pakistan for a period of two years?
Ans. Waqar Younis
7) Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) on 7 May 2014 approved the flying license of AirAsia India Private Limited (AAIPL). It is a tripartite joint venture between?
Ans. Tata Sons, Air Asia and telestra Tradeplace.
8) World Health Organisation (WHO) on 5 May 2014 declared outbreak of which disease as a World Health Emergency after detecting new cases from countries like Syria and Pakistan?Visit:www.currentaffairs4examz.com
9) Who was ranked no 1 batsman in ICC list of One Day International (ODI) rankings released in Dubai on 4 May 2014?
Ans. Virat Kohli
10) Who won World Snooker Championship 2014?
Ans. Mark Selby of England
Note: He won the title against the defending champion Ronnie O Sullivan with 18-14 in the final on 6 May 2014.
11) Which Indian player was ranked No 10 in Women’s Squash Association (WSA) rankings released on 1 May 2014?
Ans. Dipika Pallikal
12) Sania Mirza along with whom on 3 May 2014 won women’s doubles title at the WTA Portugal Open 2014 held in Oeiras, Portugal?
Ans. Cara Black of Zimbabwe
13) Election Queue Management System, a first of its kind initiative was introduced in India. It was introduced by the District Election Authority in Burdwan district of which state during Lok Sabha election held on 30 April 2014?
Ans. West Bengal
14) India ranked no 1 in ICC Twenty20 International Team ranking announced in Dubai on 1 May 2014 replacing which country?
Ans. Sri Lanka
15) Which country on 30 April 2014 purchased 3400 India-made Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) for use in Presidential Election of that country scheduled in November 2014?
16) Which Indian Educational Institution was ranked at the 87th position among the top 100 world universities – under 50 years of age – published by London-based Times Higher Education (THE) magazine on 30 April 2014?
Ans. Indian Institute of Technology-Guwahati
17) Who was appointed as first Woman Additional Director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on 8 May 2014?
Ans. Archana Ramasundaram
Note: After hours of her sworn-in, Tamil Nadu government suspended her. She was suspended allegedly for not following rules before joining the central probe agency.
18) Delhi Government on 5 May 2014 launched Travel planning Portal ............. in Partnership with Incredible India?
19) Scientists on 8 May 2014 created the first realistic virtual Universe using a computer simulation called?Visit:www.currentaffairs4examz.com
20) Which Indian Airline Company announced on 1 May 2014 to join largest global airlines network Star Alliance in July 2014?
Ans. Air India
Note: Air India became the first airline from India to be part of a global chain of carriers.
21) Scientists confirmed the existence Of element with atomic number 117 which is temporarily called?
22) Supreme Court of India on 7 May 2014 quashed the law passed by Kerala Assembly on the Mullaperiyar dam and ruled that the water level of the dam can be raised to 142 feet. Mullaperiyar dam row at SC was between Kerala and which other state?
23) Constitutional Court of Thailand on 7 May 2014 ruled that the Prime Minister ............... must step down over abuse of power charges?
Ans. Yingluck Shinawartra
24) Who took over as the 21st Commander of the Coast Guard Region (Andaman and Nicobar) on 5 May 2014?
Ans. Inspector General K Natarajan
25) Name the book which features in-depth analytical essays of the rich history of Railways in India which was released by Arunendra Kumar, the Chairman of Railway Board on 9 May 2014 ?
Ans. India Junction – A Window to the Nation
26) Name the Indian-American cardiologist who won the prestigious 2014 Gregory Bradeb Memorial Fellow of the Year Award?
Ans. Mitul Kadakia
27) Supreme Court of India on 7 May 2014 banned use of bulls for fighting called ........ and bullock-cart races across the country?
28) A book entitled A Stamp is Born authored by whom was released on 6 May 2014 by Vice President of India, M Hamid Ansari?
Ans. C. R. Pakrashi
29) Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on 6 May 2014 indefinitely suspended Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) for what reason?
Ans. Due to appointment of former IPL commissioner Lalit Modi as the President of the RCA.
30) What was India's rank in the latest Freedom of the press 2014?
31) Which Group won the International Business of the Year award 2014 at the Asian Business Awards Midlands in Birmingham on 9 May 2014?
Ans. Caparo Group
32) Name the former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh who died in Hyderabad on 9 May 2014?Visit:www.currentaffairs4examz.com
Ans. Nedurumilli Janardhan Reddy
33) Who won UNESCO Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2014?
Ans. Ahmet Sik
34) World Press Freedom Day was observed on 3 May 2014 across the world with the theme?
Ans. Media Freedom for a Better Future: Shaping the post-2015 Development Agenda.