1) Ronnie O'Sullivan named World Snooker Player of the Year: Ronnie O'Sullivan has been named World Snooker Player of the Year at an awards ceremony in London. The 38-year-old picked up the accolade three days after his bid for a sixth World Championship title was scuppered by Mark Selby in the final at the Crucible. But O'Sullivan, who escaped serious injury following a car crash on his way home from Sheffield, was rewarded following another strong season in the major events. He won the Masters, the Welsh Open and the Champion of Champions event and also picked up the fans' player of the year award.
2) Nokia to launch dual-SIM Lumia 630: Upping its ante in the fiercely competitive Indian smartphone market, Microsoft is all set to launch its dual-SIM smartphone Lumia 630 that will take head-on likes of Moto G, HTC Desire and Samsung’s Duos. Two weeks into acquiring Nokia’s handset division, software giant Microsoft is aggressively targetting the dual SIM market in India, which it believes is “critically important”. Powered by Windows Phone 8.1, the Lumia 630 features a 4.5-inch display, 5-megapixel auto focus camera & 8GB of expandable internal storage.
3) Luis Guillermo Solis sworn in as 47th President of Costa Rica: Historian and political scientist Luis Guillermo Solis has been sworn in as 47th President of Costa Rica. He beats Johnny Araya in run-off election with astounding 78 percent approval. Costa Rica is a tiny Central American country with population of just 4.5 million. He succeeds Laura Chinchilla as such.
4) Sensex, Nifty end at record highs on capital inflows: The benchmark sensex on 9th May crossed record 23,000 level for the first time but closed a tad lower at 22,994.23, posting its biggest single-day gain of 650.19 points since September 2013, on strong FII buying in banking, auto and power stocks ahead of election results next week.
5) BHEL commissioned Gas Turbine Generating Unit in Oman: The Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, BHEL has commissioned Gas Turbine Generating unit at a power project in Oman. The 126 MW Gas Turbine Generator at Qarn Alam-3 power project of Petroleum Development Oman is the second successive project of BHEL in Oman.
6) Dinesh Ramdin named West Indies Test captain: Denesh Ramdin was on Friday appointed captain of the West Indies Test side in place of Darren Sammy and the wicketkeeper-batsman`s first assignment will be the home series against New Zealand beginning next month. Sammy will continue to be T20 captain meaning West Indies have separate skippers for all three formats.
7) Fire onboard INS Ganga, 3 injured: Three persons, including a Navy personnel, on Friday received burn injuries after a fire broke out onboard INS Ganga, which was going through routine maintenance and refit at the naval dockyard in Mumbai. According to naval sources, the incident occurred around 11:50 a.m. when welding work was going on onboard the naval ship.
8) Former AP Chief Minister Janardhana Reddy passed away: Former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Nedurumilli Janardhan Reddy passed away in the early hours on Friday after brief illness. He was 80 and is survived by wife and four sons.