1) Naidu to be sworn in on June 8 as Seemandhra CM: The Telugu Desam Party chief N Chandrababu Naidu is expected to assume office as Chief Minister of Seemandhra (Andhra Pradesh) on June 8 near Vijayawada. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been invited by Naidu for the event slated to be a gala fair spread over a 70-acre site between Vijayawada and Guntur, where he is also considering developing a new capital for the new state.
2) Ajit Doval appointed as new National Security Adviser: Former Intelligence Bureau Chief Ajit Doval was appointed as the National Security Adviser on 30 May 2014. He will assume the office on 31 May 2014. According to the official order, this appointment of 69-year-old Doval will be co-terminus with the term of the Prime Minister or till further orders, whichever is earlier. During his tenure, he will provide deep insight about the threats faced by the country from within and from outside.
3) Storm wreaks havoc in Delhi, 9 killed: Strong North Western winds ravaged the Capital on Friday evening at 92 kilometres per hour, killing nine people and damaging three aircraft and scores of vehicles. Twelve people were also reportedly injured. The disturbance dragged down the mercury and threw the city out of gear. The storm, accompanied by rain and lightning, which struck was because of a low pressure over Western Uttar Pradesh and neighbouring areas.
4) New logo for Telangana: Telangana, the 29th state of the country, has got its new logo. Designed by artist Laxman Aelay, the logo has three elements — the Asoka emblem, the iconic “Kakatiya torana” which is the gateway of the Kakatiya dynasty that ruled the region during 11-12th century, and the Charminar.
5) Vishwanath Tripathi awarded Vyas Samman: Eminent Hindi writer Vishwanath Tripathi was on 29 May 2014 presented the prestigious Vyas Samman for the year 2013. Tripathi received the 23rd edition of the annual award for his work 'Vyomkesh Darvesh', a biography of noted Hindi author Acharya Hazari Prasad Dwivedi. Instituted in 1991 by the K K Birla Foundation, the coveted literary prize carries a citation, and a cash amount of Rs 2.5 lakh. Tripathi was also given a souvenir on the occasion.
6) Modi nixes plan to include chapter on him in textbooks: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday scotched a move by the BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat governments to introduce a chapter on his life in textbooks for school children. Expressing strong disapproval of the sycophantic proposals, Modi said he did not favour living individuals becoming part of curriculum.
7) Virender Sehwag blitz powers Kings XI Punjab into IPL-7 final: Suresh Raina's 87 off 25 balls went in vain as Kings XI Punjab, riding on Virender Sehwag's scintillating ton, cruised to a 24-run victory over Chennai Super Kings to enter the IPL-7 final. Punjab will face Kolkata Knight Riders in the final which is scheduled to be played on Sunday. Sehwag blasted his way to a terrific 58-ball 122 which powered Punjab to a mammoth 226 for 6.
8) Government initiates exercise to raise FDI in defence sector to 100%: In a major policy initiative, the government is proposing to raise FDI in defence sector to 100 per cent through the approval route. "The Commerce and Industry ministry has circulated a Cabinet note for inter-ministerial consultation," sources told PTI. The proposal to raise FDI cap in defence from 26 per cent to 100 per cent is aimed at giving a boost to the manufacturing activities.
9) World's largest aircraft the Airbus A380 landed at Indira Gandhi International Airport: Super jumbo Airbus A380 of the Singapore Airlines (SIA) landed at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) in New Delhi at around 8.00 pm on Friday, marking its maiden flight to India. On its arrival, the super jumbo was given a customary water cannon salute. Singapore Airlines became the first airline to start commercial operations of the world's largest passenger aircraft Airbus 380 in India on Friday. The airline will fly daily from Mumbai and Delhi. The world's largest passenger aircraft will have 471 seats, including 12 suites, 60 Business and 399 Economy class seats. The first flight comes after the government in January 2014 allowed Airbus A380 to fly into the country.