1) 61st National Film Awards 2014 Announced: The National Film Awards for the year 2013 have been announced and The Best Actor Award is shared between Rajkummar Rao for his powerful performance in Shahid and Malayalam actor Suraj Venjaramudu for the movie Perariyathavar. Geetanjali Thapa has been adjudged the Best Actress for Liar’s Dice. Anand Gandhi’s Ship Of Theseus has also won the Golden Lotus for Best Feature Film while Bhaag Milkha Bhaag has been adjudged the Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment. The Nargis Dutt Award for Best Film On National Integration went to Talai Murugal while Jolly LLB won the award for the Best Hindi Film. This year, the Nation Film Award for Best Director has been conferred to Hansal Mehta for Shahid. The 61st National Film Awards ceremony will be held on May 03, 2014. Click Here for complete list of winners.
2) Vice Admiral Robin K Dhowan likely to take over as next Navy Chief: Vice Admiral Robin K Dhowan is most likely to be the next chief of the Indian Navy with reports on Wednesday suggesting that the Defence Ministry has recommended his name to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the coveted post. The post of Navy chief has been lying vacant for nearly two months since DK Joshi suddenly quit in the wake of a series of mishaps that hit the naval forces recently. Vice Admiral Dhowan, who has been the acting Navy chief since Joshi's exit, was in contention for the top job along with Western Navy Commander Shekhar Sinha and Eastern Commander Anil Chopra.
3) IPL Season 7 2014 kicked off in style: The seventh Indian Premier League kicked off in style at Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi on 16 April 204. The opening match was between Kolkata Knight Riders and defending champions Mumbai Indians. Kolkata Knight Riders won the match by 41 runs. Kallis, who has retired from Test cricket, was adjudged the Man of the Match. He scored quick 72 runs from 46 balls. The tournament will return to India on May 2 after being assured of security in states where voting would be over by that time.
4) Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey: Real Madrid beat arch rivals Barcelona 2-1 in the Copa del Rey final on Wednesday, as Carlo Ancelotti won his first trophy as Real manager. Gareth Bale was the hero as his stunning solo goal five minutes from time gave Madrid the win. Barca have now suffered three defeats in a row as Gerardo Martino’s team are stuck in a rut.
Know Copa del Rey?- The Copa del Rey is an annual football championship for Spanish football club teams. FC Barcelona leads the overall tally with 26 trophies followed by Athletic Bilbao's 23 and Real Madrid's 19.
5) Government extended tourist visa-on-arrival facility to South Koreans: Government has extended tourist visa-on-arrival facility to citizens of South Korea, in an effort to increase people-to-people contact with that country. Visa-on-arrival with a maximum validity of 30 days with single entry facility will be offered to South Korean tourists at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Thiruvananthapuram and Kochi airports at a fee of US $ 60, the External Affairs Ministry said. Thus South Korea becomes the 181st country to be extended the tourist Visa-on-Arrival facility by India.
6) CBI sets up special unit to probe fraud, fixing and illegal betting in sport: Considering the gravity of corruption in sports, the CBI has set up a special investigating unit to handle cases related to the field, the agency's chief announced Tuesday. On the occasion of the D.P. Kohli Memorial lecture, Central Bureau of Investigation director Ranjit Sinha announced a special unit to probe corrupt practices especially in sports. "The CBI will investigate cases of fraud, fixing and illegal betting in sports," he said. The unit will act as the repository of intelligence and data related to corruption in sports.
7) SC says N Srinivasan among 13 names in sealed Mudgal committee report: Resuming hearing into the Indian Premier League (IPL) spot-fixing and betting scandal, the Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday revealed that the suspended Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president N Srinivasan figures among the 13 people named in the sealed report submitted by the Justice Mukul Mudgal committee. Srinivasan had on Tuesday filed an affidavit questioning why the SC has removed him as BCCI president, requesting the apex court to reinstate him as he is innocent and none of the charges against him have been proved. However, the SC said he can't discharge his duties in the BCCI office. The court has also asked the BCCI to reply as to how the probe against those named in the report should be done.