1) Gulzar to get Dadasaheb Phalke award: Renowned lyricist, poet, author and filmmaker Gulzar will be honoured with the 2013 Dadsaheb Phalke award, the country' highest award in cinema given annually by the Government of India. The 79-year-old was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2004 and the Sahitya Akademi Award in 2002. He has won a number of National Film Awards and 20 Filmfare Awards. Read more from here.
2) High voter turnout in phase 4 in Goa, Assam, Tripura and Sikkim: In phase 4 the Lok Sabha polls on Saturday, 75 per cent polling has been recorded in 2 seats in Goa, 75 per cent in 3 seats in Assam, 81.8 per cent for 1 seat in Tripura. In Sikkim, 76 per cent has been recorded for 1 one Lok Sabha and 32 Assembly seats.
3) Fabianski stars as Arsenal reach FA Cup final: Lukasz Fabianski saved two penalties as Arsenal beat holders Wigan Athletic 4-2 in a shootout at Wembley on Saturday to reach their first FA Cup final for nine years. Having stunned Manchester City in last season's final, before being relegated from the Premier League, Wigan looked set for another famous Wembley day when Jordi Gomez put them ahead with a 63rd-minute penalty.
4) Six CRPF men among 15 killed in twin Maoist attacks in Chhattisgarh: In a major post-poll attack, 15 people, including six personnel of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and nine civilians, were killed on Saturday when Maoists blew up an ambulance and a bus in two separate incidents in tribal Bastar region of Chhattisgarh. aoist guerrillas first triggered a powerful blast, targeting a bus when a polling party was returning, at village Kutulnar between Kutru and Gudma in Naxalite-affected Bijapur district. Seven members of the polling party were killed in the blast and subsequent firing, while five others were injured.
5) Manavjit Singh Sandhu shoots past Olympic champion to win World Cup gold: India's Manavjit Singh Sandhu produced some excellent shooting to clinch the men's trap gold medal ahead of two-time Olympic champion Michael Diamond at the ISSF Shotgun World Cup in Tucson, USA. The 37-year-old Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna awardee shot scores of 121 and 13 in the qualification and finals, respectively, to finish on the podium with the gold medal around his neck.
6) HDFC chairman Deepak Parekh to assist Sunil Gavaskar in IPL 2014 matters: Deepak Parekh, an avid cricket follower and a management specialist, was appointed by the Board of Control for Cricket in India as special advisor to Sunil Gavaskar, Interim President, BCCI, for the 2014 season of the Indian Premier League. Parekh will be a special invitee to the Governing Council meetings of the IPL. He was recommended for the job by Gavaskar himself.
7) Delhi Daredevils unveiled new jersey for IPL 7: The Delhi Daredevils on Saturday unveiled their brand new jersey for the seventh edition of the Indian Premier league with a tie-up with the country's largest online and mobile classifieds portal classified, Quikr. The new jersey was unveiled in the presence of captain Kevin Pietersen, vice-captain Dinesh Karthik and coach Gary Kirsten.
8) British Queen conferred Knight Grand Cross on Ratan Tata: Ratan Tata, the former chairman of the Tata Group which is one of the largest employers in Britain, has been honoured by Queen Elizabeth with a GBE ( Knight Grand Cross), one of the UK's highest civilian awards. "The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve the following honorary British awards in 2014... GBE for Ratan Naval Tata, KBE, for services to UK/India relations, inward investment to the UK and philanthropy," an announcement by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) said Thursday.
9) Rahul Gandhi, flanked by entire family, files nomination from Amethi: Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on Saturday filed his nomination from Amethi in Uttar Pradesh in the presence of mother Sonia, sister Priyanka and her husband Robert Vadra. The Congress No. 2 is seeking re-election for a third consecutive term from the Lok Sabha constituency.