1) World Water Day celebrated: World Water Day was observed on 22 March 2014 with the theme Water and Energy to raise awareness of the inter-linkages between water and energy. World Water Day is observed to preserve and ration consumption of water. The United Nation is observed annually on 22 March to draw attention on the importance of freshwater and advocating for the sustainable management of fresh water resources.
2) President gives away gallantry awards: Three officers, including an Indian Air Force officer who lost his life during a relief operation in Uttarakhand, a naval officer who non-stop sailed around the world and an Army Major who was martyred during a terrorist attack were presented the Kirti Chakra, the second highest peacetime gallantry award by President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday.
3) Rajesh Gopakumar selected for G D Birla Award 2013: Physicist Rajesh Gopakumar was selected for the 23rd G D Birla Award for scientific research for the year 2013.
4) First aircraft of AirAsia India lands in Chennai: AirAsia India on Saturday took delivery of its first Airbus A-320 as it landed in Chennai after flying in from Toulouse headquarters of the European aircraft manufacturer.
5) m-Pesa starts inter-bank money transfer service: Mobile Commerce Solutions Ltd (MCSL), a pre-paid/remittance provider with the m-Pesa platform, has started a pan-India inter-bank money transfer service by joining hands with the Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) of NPCI.
6) Government of India divested its 9 percent stake in Axis Bank: The Government of India divested its 9 percent stake in Axis Bank on 21 March 2014. The divestment resulted into generation of 5500 crore rupees.
7) TCS ranked No 1 employer in Europe: IT major Tata Consultancy Services on Friday said it has been named as the top employer in Europe for the second consecutive year by the Top Employers Institute.