1) Japan marks 3rd anniversary of Fukushima quake-tsunami disaster: Japan marks the third anniversary of the quake-tsunami disaster which swept away 18,000 victims, destroyed coastal communities, and sparked a nuclear emergency that forced a re-think on atomic power. Remembrance ceremonies was held in towns and cities around the disaster zone and in the capital Tokyo, where Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko are to lead tributes to those who lost their lives in Japan's worst peace-time disaster.
2) Akhilesh Gupta elected president of Indian Meteorological Society: Head of the Climate Change Programme at the Department of Science and Technology, Akhilesh Gupta, has been elected as President of the Indian Meteorological Society for 2014-16. He succeeds Shailesh Nayak, Secretary, Ministry of Earth Sciences. He will serve as president of the Indian Meteorological Society during 2014-16. His career includes a spell as Secretary to the University Grants Commission during 2012-13. He also served as Advisor to Kapil Sibal, when he was the Minister for Science and Technology.
3) Bangladesh all ready to host World T20: The roads leading to the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium are unfailing reminders that the World T20 — set to be held in Bangladesh between March 16 and April 6 — is upon us. There are billboards, arches, and a countdown-clock outside the Stadium emblazoned with the logo of the mega event. The tournament will be held from March 16 to April 6.
4) Max Life Insurance tied up with Toyota Financial Services: Max Life Insurance has tied up with Toyota Financial Services India Ltd to provide insurance cover to car loan customers.“This alliance has been formed to provide insurance cover for car loan customers of Toyota Financial Services under a Max Life group product called Max Life Group Credit Life Secure,” the companies said in a joint statement.
5) World Longest aircraft Airlander unveiled in Britain: World Longest aircraft Airlander or HAV304 was unveiled at Cardington in Bedfordshire, Britain in the first week of March. The aircraft looks like a giant blimp and is being manufactured by the Hybrid Air Vehicles Ltd (HAV).
6) Heena Sidhu and Chain Singh won Gold at 7th Asian Air Gun Championship: Heena Sidhu on 10 March 2014 won the Gold medal in the Women’s Air pistol event at the 7th Asian Air Gun Championship in Kuwait. Heena topped the qualification stage with 386 and won the Gold medal with a score of 200.3, Chia Ying Wu of Chinese Taipei won the Silver (198.3) and Wadha Al Balushi from Oman won the Bronze (177.3). Chain Singh won the Gold with a score of 206.0. While the Silver and Bronze were won by Chinese Qin Cong (204.5) and Liu Zhinguo (183.7) respectively.
7) National Archives of India celebrated 124th Foundation Day: The National Archives of India celebrated 124th Foundation Day on 11 March 2014 (founded on 11th March 1891 as Imperial Records Department at Imperial Secretariat Building, Calcutta). National Archive : "repository of non-current records of permanent value of Government of India.