1) Sensex hits record high, crossed 22,000: The BSE Sensex hit a record high for the third consecutive session on Monday, crossing the 22,000 mark for the first time. The broader Nifty also hit a record high in early trade. The all-time high for the Sensex standed at 22,005.54.
Know Sensex?- TheS&P BSE SENSEX (S&P Bombay Stock Exchange Sensitive Index), also-called the BSE 30 or simply the SENSEX, is a free-float market-weighted stock market index of 30 well-established and financially sound companies listed on Bombay Stock Exchange. The 30 component companies which are some of the largest and most actively traded stocks, are representative of various industrial sectors of the Indian economy. Published since 1 January 1986, the S&P BSE SENSEX is regarded as the pulse of the domestic stock markets in India.
2) Vishnu Prasad wins Motorsport ‘person of the year’ award: Vishnu Prasad and Gaurav Gill got tremendous applause at the FMSCI (Federation of Motor Sports Club of India) 2013 awards function. The former was named the Motorsport Person of the Year, the latter became the first Indian to win the APRC title. Scrutineer K. Krishnamurthy was given a standing ovation on Saturday night after being chosen for the Lifetime Achievement award. Vishnu’s talent came to the fore at the JK Tyre Racing India Series, emerging the senior national karting champion in FB02 car at the FMSCI JK Tyre National Rotax Max Karting.
3) Vice President of Afghanistan Marshal Mohammad Qasim Fahim died: Vice President of Afghanistan Marshal Mohammad Qasim Fahim died on 9 March 2014 due to natural cause. He died at the age of 56. He was formerly known as one of the country's much feared warlords. Fahim was a leader of the Tajik ethnic minority. He was senior Vice President under President Hamid Karzai.
4) Shane Watson to lead Rajasthan Royals in IPL 2014: Australian all-rounder Shane Watson will captain Rajasthan Royals in the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL). Watson has been with the Royals since the inaugural season in 2008. Former captain Rahul Dravid, who retired from all forms of cricket in 2013, will be involved in all aspects of cricket strategy — mentoring the team and guide youth and talent development initiatives for the franchise.
5) Nokia marks the X at Rs. 8,599: Finnish handset maker Nokia, on Monday, launched Nokia X, based on the Android operating system, in the domestic market with a price tag of Rs.8,599. Besides, the company said, it would introduce two more devices as part of the Nokia X family — Nokia X+ and Nokia XL. The dual SIM Nokia X is a 4-inch device, powered by a 1 GHz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor.