1) March 06: World Dentist Day- World Dentist Day was observed across the world on 6 March 2014. The day is observed every year to raise awareness about dental health. On this day the Indian Dentists Association (IDA) organizes Continuing Medical Education (CME), seminars and workshops to update the dentists about the various developmental programme, which is aimed towards improving the dental health.
2) 27th Federation Cup Volleyball championship won by Tamil Nadu: Tamil Nadu captures the men's title by thrashing services 25-21, 25-19, 25-19 in the final. Railways clinched the women's title by beating Kerala. Uttrakhand and Tamil Nadu win the bronze medal in men's and women's category respectively.
3) Misao Okawa, the oldest woman in the world, turned 116: Misao Okawa of Osaka, Japan, is thought to be the world’s oldest woman. She celebrated her 116th birthday on March 5, 2014, according to WebProNews on Thursday.
4) Gulaab Gang to release after HC stay lifted: The Delhi high court on Thursday cleared the nationwide release of Madhuri Dixit, Juhi Chawla-starrer Gulaab Gang, reportedly based on the life of activist Sampat Pal, who formed the Gulabi Gang, a group of pink sari clad women vigilantes in Uttar Pradesh.
Know the Director?- Soumik Sen
5) Australian at 2nd spot in the ICC Test team rankings: Australian cricket team has replaced India at number two position in the ICC Test team rankings published on Thursday after defeating South Africa in the third and final Test in Cape Town. South Africa retained No 1 rank in the same ranking.
6) Vedanta appoints Tom Albanese as new CEO: Mining conglomerate Vedanta Resources appointed Tom Albanese as its new chief executive from April 1.
7) Kellogg’s ropes in Deepika Padukone as brand ambassador for Special K: Kellogg's has roped in bollywood actress Deepika Padukone for Special K. The company said in a statement that the association with the coveted actor was well-timed as the wedding season was just around the corner. Women want to look their best while preparing for a wedding.
8) Dehradun Professor Sets World Record: A professor of a city based deemed university set a world record today by delivering a marathon non-stop lecture for more than 130 hours at the varsity auditorium.
9) Global Internet Company Yahoo acquired a startup company named “Vizify” : Global Internet Company Yahoo acquired a startup company named “Vizify” that lets users create infographics and videos out of social data. It enables create interactive visualizations based on data involving what they share online, creating a type of Internet biography.
10) Tamil Nadu won 64th National Basketball Championship: Tamil Nadu secures the men's title by trumping Punjab 74-57 in the final of the 64th National Basketball Championship. The women's title went to Chhattisgarh who pipped Indian Railways 81-77.
11) Sports Minister inaugurated National Cycling Academy in Delhi: Union Sports Minister Jitendra Singh on Wednesday inaugurated the National Cycling Academy at the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex in New Delhi with the purpose of boosting the cycling talent. Sports Authority of India (SAI) already has an Indoor Cycling Velodrome with air-conditioning facilities. It was decided in a meeting of the Governing Body of SAI to set up a National Cycling Academy (SAINCA) in New Delhi.