1) India back in Olympic fold as IOC revokes ban on IOA: More than a year after being banned from the Olympic movement due to tainted officials, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) revokes ban on Indian Olympic Association (IOA) after conducting fresh election. The IOC lifted the 14-month-old ban on India after the IOA barred charge-framed officials from its fresh election held on Sunday in which N. Ramachandran, was elected as the new President. With this decision, India back in Olympic fold and Indian players will be able to play under Indian flag now and they can walk behind their national flag at the closing ceremony in Sochi winter Olympics.
2) Polio-free India to get WHO certification: As India celebrates its victory over polio — completing three years without any case of the debilitating infection — the nation becomes entitled to polio-free certification by the World Health Organisation in March. It is only the second time in the history that a disease is being eliminated in India through immunisation after small pox in May 1980.
3) Interim Railway budget in Lok Sabha on Wednesday: The interim Railway budget for 2014-15 will be presented in Parliament on Wednesday. Railway minister Mallikarjun Kharge will present the budget in the Lok Sabha at noon. The Railway minister is likely to announce more trains, better amenities and safety measures for passengers. Sources in the ministry said it will be a growth-oriented budget.
4) Shinde orders CBI probe into Arunachal student Nido Tania's death: Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Tuesday ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into Arunachal Pradesh student Nido Tania's death in the national capital recently.
5) New Chairman and Managing Director of Punjab and Sind Bank (PSB): Jatinder Bir Singh has been appointed Chairman and Managing Director of Punjab and Sind Bank (PSB). He will succeed D.P.singh. Prior to this, Singh, 1983-batch IAS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre, was an Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Water Resources.
6) Vinod Sawhny is the new Chief Executive Officer of Reliance Communications: Anil Ambani-controlled Reliance Communications has roped in former Bharti Airtel executive Vinod Sawhny as chief executive in its third restructuring of senior management in four years aimed at spurring growth. Sawhny was the head of Bharti Airtel's phone-manufacturing division when he left that company in 2012, after spending a decade with the group.
7) Iconic child star Shirley Temple passed away at 85: Former Hollywood child star Shirley Temple has died at the age of 85. The actress found fame as a young girl in the 1930s in films like Bright Eyes, Stand Up and Cheer and Curly Top. Her singing, dancing and acting won over fans worldwide. She was given a special juvenile Oscar in 1935, when she was just six years old. After retiring from films in 1950 at the age of 21, Temple returned to the public eye as a Republican candidate for Congress and as a US diplomat.
8) Penguin India decides to ban and withdraw Indologist Wendy Doniger's book "The Hindus: An Alternative History". The decision follows an out of court settlement with 'Shiksha Bachao Andolan' which alleged it hurts the feeling of Hindus and contains wrong facts.