1) Sushil Koirala becomes new PM of Nepal: Veteran Nepali Congress leader Sushil Koirala was on Monday elected Prime Minister of Nepal with the support of the CPN-UML, ending months of political instability following last year's elections. Koirala, the sole contestant in the premier race, was elected with 405 votes in the 601-member Constituent Assembly.
2) Sikkim is India's first state with 100% sanitation coverage: Sikkim has done remarkably well to become India's first state with 100 percent sanitation coverage, according to a report of the drinking water and sanitation ministry. All 6,10,577 inhabitants have latrines with high sanitation and hygiene standards. The state has also sensitised people to adopt a holistic approach to improve sanitation and hygiene in a clean environment while accelerating its overall development.
3) Meiyappan involved in betting: BCCI chief N Srinivasan’s son-in-law and former Chennai Super Kings team principal Gurunath Meiyappan was indicted on charges of betting by the Justice Mukul Mudgal committee, formed by the Supreme Court to inquire into spot-fixing and illegal betting in the Indian Premier League last year.
4) Distance runner Olympian Ranjit Bhatia passed away: Olympian distance runner Ranjit Bhatia, who represented India in 1960 Games in Rome, on Sunday, passed away in New Delhi after a prolonged illness at the age of 77.
5) Abhinav Bindra claims third gold in Inter Shoot Tri series Shooting: Olympic Medal winner Indian shooter, Abhinav Bindra won third gold-medal in the Inter-Shoot Tri-series Shooting in the Air Pistol event. With this win, He became the first person to win three gold medals in the event that is being held at the Hague, Netherlands.
6) Akshaya Patra gets award for excellence in financial reporting: The Akshaya Patra Foundation has been awarded the Gold Shield and Hall of Fame by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) for Excellence in Financial Reporting for the year 2012-13. The foundation has been awarded under the Category XI Not-for-Profit Sector.
7) India retained 2nd ranking in Tests: India has retained its second position in the latest ICC Test rankings even after losing the first test against New Zealand last week. South Africa retained No 1 rank with 131 points followed by India with 117 points and Australia with 111 points.
8) Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg named top US philanthropist: Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan have been named joint top US philanthropists for 2013. The couple gained the accolade after a donation of 18 million Facebook shares to a Silicon Valley foundation. The donation, worth more than $970m (£590m), was the largest in the US in 2013. The gift outstripped philanthropists such as Bill and Melinda Gates, the Chronicle of Philanthropy said.
9) Two More Attempts for UPSC's Civil Services Exams: In a good news for lakhs of civil services aspirants, the government on Monday decided to give two additional attempts to all categories of candidates of the prestigious exam conducted by Union Public Service Commission.
10) 15 yr old Russian becomes youngest Olympic figure skating gold medalist: Yulia Lipnitskaya, 15-years-old, became the youngest Russian athlete to win a gold medal at the Winter Olympics currently being held at Sochi, Russia. She won the medal in free skating in the team figure skating competition. Yulia scored 141.51 points and earned a combined total of 214.41 under the International Judging System.