1) Meenakshi Dua first woman to assume the post of Executive Director of Air India (South): Meenakshi Dua has taken over as Executive Director - Southern Region, Air India. She has taken charge from Capt HY Samant, who has superannuated on January 31, 2014. In the annals of Southern Region of Air India, Dua is the first woman to assume the post of Executive Director, South.
2) Binny decided to withdraw support to Delhi Govt: Expelled AAP MLA Vinod Kumar Binny on Wednesday decided to withdraw support to the Delhi Government, while terming Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal of being “more dangerous” than a corrupt person. Binny, however, said he would support the Government on the matter of Jan Lokpal Bill.
3) Soon, one number for all emergencies across India: “911, what’s your emergency?” How many times have we heard this line in American sitcoms and movies? India may soon get its own 911 — one number for all emergencies. Women and other vulnerable groups facing increasing violence are set to get some breather as the Government plans to set up an integrated computer-aided dispatch system to bolster its emergency response system. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its nod to this proposal by the Ministry of Home Affairs on Wednesday.
4) First Paperless Public Library of World BiblioTech opened in USA: First Paperless public Library of the World BiblioTech was opened in the USA State of Texas on 4 February 2014. The traditional libraries have been replaced with high-tech gadgets that cater to both adults and children.
5) Indian squash player Joshna Chinappa clinches the Winnipeg Winter Club Open trophy by trumping Egyptian 'Heba El Torky' in the final. Another Indian Dipika Pallikal had clinched it last year in 2013.
6) 26th Moorti Devi Award conferred to Haraprasad Das, notable contemporary poet and thinker in Odia literature: Haraprasad Das, notable contemporary poet and thinker in Odia literature, has been conferred on the “26th Moorti Devi Award”. Its an annual literary award given by the Bharatiya Jnanpith organization.
7) CCEA approved national mission on farm extension and mechanisation: The spread of farm extension services and mechanisation will get a fillip with the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approving the implementation of the National Mission on Agricultural Extension and Technology (NMAET) for the 12th Plan Period.
8) Pietersen’s international career ended by ECB: England batsman Kevin Pietersen’s international career on Wednesday came to an abrupt end after he was dumped from the team for the upcoming tour of the West Indies and the subsequent World Twenty20 Championships in Bangladesh. The 33-year-old swashbuckling batsman, who played 104 Tests and 136 ODIs, is set to end as England’s highest run-scorer in all formats of the game after a career spanning nine years.