1) Facebook celebrated its 10th birthday: Facebook — with more than 1.2 billion users worldwide — celebrated its 10th birthday amidst challenges of keeping its original base of young users with new innovative social networks coming to the fore. The company was launched by Mark Zuckerberg on February 4, 2004, from Harvard University. The site was conceived as a way to connect students, and let them build an online identity for themselves, ‘Computer World’ reported.
2) Delhi govt cleared Jan Lokpal Bill: Delhi Cabinet on Monday cleared the draft of the much talked-about Jan Lokpal bill which provides for covering all public servants — from chief minister to Group D employees — and seeks life term as maximum punishment for those found guilty of corruption. The bill provides for a legal right of protection to “honest” officials, whistleblowers and witnesses besides having provisions for time-bound investigation and trial of corruption cases.
3) Railways to implement indigenous technology to prevent mishap: With anti-collision systems installed earlier achieving partial success, Railways on Monday announced installation of an indigenous and efficient technology to prevent train mishaps. The Train Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) has shown positive results during its run as a pilot project in South Central zone, a Railways official said.
4) German President on six-day visit from Tuesday: German President Joachim Guack will arrive in New Delhi on Tuesday on a six-day state visit to India during which he will hold talks with the top leadership and discuss ways to enhance bilateral ties. Briefing reporters on the visit, German Ambassador to India Michael Steiner said Guack will be accompanied by a 80-member delegation, including 15 business leaders, during his India stay which was "the highest ceremonial gesture between the two sides".
5) Sundar Pichai now front-runner for Microsoft CEO job: Executive Satya Nadella appears most likely to be named Microsoft’s new CEO but the name of another India-born technology executive is doing the rounds as a candidate for the top job. Sundar Pichai, the 42-year-old head executive for Google Chrome and Apps, is the “top choice” for the the position of Microsoft CEO and negotiations with him are on in full swing, SiliconANGLE, a media Web site that focuses on the technology industry, said.
6) Gulam Nabi Azad laid foundation stone for new facilities in AIIMS: Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on Monday laid the foundation stone of two blocks at the AIIMS that will add facilities of 600 beds and 24 operating theatres at a total cost of Rs 255 crores.
7) Serena Williams continues to dominate WTA tennis rankings: Serena Williams retained her commanding advantage at the top of the WTA women’s tennis rankings issued on Monday. Williams remains on 13,000 points, well clear of next challengers Victoria Azarenka (Belarus) on 6,581 and Australian Open winner Li Na on 6,570.
8) Teresa Kho is ADB's new Country Director for India: The Asian Development Bank has a new Country Director for India in Teresa Kho. Kho, who assumed charge as Country Director for India on Monday, was previously heading the Bangladesh Resident Mission of ADB.
9) Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour died: Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment yesterday, a law enforcement official said. He was 46. Hoffman won an Oscar for best actor in 2006 for “Capote” and was seen as one of the pre-eminent actors of his generation. He was a character actor with over 60 film credits to his name, including Magnolia, The Master, Boogie Nights, the Big Lebowski, Mission Impossible.
10) Azad Given Additional Charge of Water Resources Ministry: Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad will hold additional charge of Water Resources Ministry following the resignation of Harish Rawat, who has become Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.
11) Rafa retained No.1 ranking: Rafael Nadal remains top of the men’s ATP tennis rankings released on Monday. The Spaniard tops the standings ahead of Serbia’s Novak Djokavic and Australian Open winner Statislas Wawrinka of Switzerland.